Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please, transfer case stuck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taurus6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Help please, transfer case stuck Reply with quote

I've tried searching for this answer before asking this question, but I haven't found it. Please help if you can.

My son just bought 1988 Cherokee 4.0, BA10/5 5spd, and the NP231. Slave cylinder was bad, so we replaced it. All back together and good until he was taking for test drive and backing out of driveway and the front wheels locked up. The 4wd selector would move through all gears (2wh,4wh,neutral,4wl), but it was out in the street, so we drove forward into driveway and now 4wd selector won't move out of 2wh. Pulled out front end of shifter rod going between the front lever and the transfer case shifter lever and the linkage moves smoothly. Trying to move the transfer case shifter lever manually seems to be the problem. It won't move move than say a 1/2 gear back and forth. How can this be corrected and unstuck?

Thanks for help.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please, transfer case stuck Reply with quote

taurus6 wrote:
the front wheels locked up.

They locked up and wouldn't spin or there was resistance like 4hi or 4lo was engaged? Did you guys remove the transfer case when you were doing the work? Can you check to see if the transfer case linkage is hitting something (i.e. the body) and binding up?
taurus6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to eliminate various possiblities, I jacked up the front end with both wheels off the ground. Both wheels spin (opposite directions), but driveshaft won't. So...front axle not locked, t-case was. But...after lowering truck again, the 4wd selector just moved as it should from 4lo to 2hi. Maybe just kinda bound up until load was off. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: