Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherokee Transmission Mount?? install

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Cherokee Transmission Mount?? install Reply with quote

Ok my 98 cherokee tranny mount is basically gone. like completely worn out. I need to change it ASAP as i am heading tothe sand dunes next monday. My question is, how hard is it to change? Can i simply just crawl underneath change out the bolts and job done? Any help here would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any help here would be great. I need to get this mount replaced before sunday! if anyone has changed one themselves advice and hints would be great!! can you change it just by crawling under there and swapping it out?
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to drop the crossmember. Basically, remove the four nuts that hold the mount to the crossmember. Then use a floor jack at the pan (make sure to use a foot long or so block of wood to prevent damaging the pan) to jack the tranny up a little...just enough to get the weight of the tranny off the crossmember. Then remove the bolts (two on each side) that hold the crossmember to the "frame" and drop the crossmember.

At that point you can replace the mount, reinstall the crossmember, drop the tranny onto it and install the crossmember to mount nuts. I forget what all the torque specs are, but either Chiltons or an FSM will have them.

If memory serves, one of the exhaust hangers also uses a couple of the mount-to-tranny bolts. On the crossmember, you'll have a combo of bolts and studs holding it to the frame. Also make sure you clean the treads on the bolts real good and hand turn them back in before putting a wrench to them. Even then, you might get one that manages to crossthread's real easy to do. You'll need to tap new threads for a slightly larger bolt if that happens. Ask me how I know...

Anyway, barring any problems it should take 2-3 hours with hand tools. Much quicker if you have air....

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$20 and 20 mins later my mechanic at work fixed it
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: