Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmissions: Auto vs. Manual

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverBack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Transmissions: Auto vs. Manual Reply with quote

I'm a newbie. Looking at an Unlimited. Are there any differences to consider between an '05 and '06? I prefer a manual shift, are there advantages of one over the other? I don't plan on any serious off-road driving. Is there a discernable difference in the ride quality between a regular Wrangler and the Unlimited? Any advice would be appreciated.
SilberBack.
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that there is much difference between the '05 and '06. However, there is a big difference between the auto and manual. The manual is a 6 speed and the auto is a 4 speed. Therefore, the gear ratios are greatly different. Example: 1st gear in the manual is 4.46 and 1st gear in the auto is 2.84. If you want something that you will casually take on a mild trail and aren't too concerned with gearing, then the auto would be your best choice for comfort. The ride quality on the unlimited is MUCH better than the wrangler. The extra 10 inches of wheelbase make a big difference. I have a friend that has an '05 unlimited with the Nth Degree 5.5" Long Arm kit and it rides amazing. I hope this has helped with your decision.
Lowrider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '06 Unlimited rides great. 1000-times better than my buddy's standard Wrangler.

I bought an automatic but if I had it to do over again I'd get the 6-speed. I have 9000 miles on it now, every one of them on the blacktop. The damn 4.0 sixes don't have much power to start with (in stock tune) and on the road it's absolutely gutless in the hills and mountain passes with the automatic. In and out of overdrive... pissed I usually just shut off the overdrive and let 'er twist. With the 6-speed I could drop down half a notch and pull the grades without running at 3000 rpm like I do when the overdrive is shut off.

I like automatic transmissions but not with this few horsepower.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mild trails a manual trans would do fine, plus you'd get better gas mileage on the street.
For the harder stuff, I'd get an auto, just to make crawlin' eaiser.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
For mild trails a manual trans would do fine, plus you'd get better gas mileage on the street.

I'm the exact opposite. On the mild trails I like an auto so I don't have to mess with shifting and can enjoy the scenery. On extreme trails I enjoy the manual cause it adds to the challenge.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mygreenjeep wrote:
TJ Apex wrote:

I'm the exact opposite. On the mild trails I like an auto so I don't have to mess with shifting and can enjoy the scenery. On extreme trails I enjoy the manual cause it adds to the challenge.

Sure, it would be more of a challenge, but, I would like to spend my money on other things rather than changing out burnt clutches.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: