Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/C Blower is haunted: switch, resistor, or loose wires?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bladeforger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: A/C Blower is haunted: switch, resistor, or loose wires? Reply with quote

Please help if you know the answer!! I posted this on another forum and received no replies...

My A/C is haunted! The blower doesn't always come on. The problem began last year when the fan would periodically decide to not run. Then it quit altogether. I pushed and pulled on some wires under the hood one day at Home Depot and it worked! Great, I thought.

Two months ago (in Summer, of course!!) the fan started coming on ONLY after I had the engine running for a minute or two.

A few weeks ago the fan began staying on when I turned off the ignition switch. So, then, I started turning off the A/C (middle button) every time I stopped. Then the process was: start the engine, turn on the A/C, wait a minute, be cool, stop, turn off ignition, turn off A/C. I could still live with that.

DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY, the fan didn't come on for 5 miles, and then it came on. Next stop, it didn't come back on at all. Grrrrrrr.

Did some reading on this forum and read yesterday that the switches and resistors are problem areas, and how to reach them. OK, fine. In about a week I'll have time to pull the switch and test it and/or replace it. It doesn't sound like the resistor because when the fan *IS* working it works at all speeds. But is it the switch?? Are these switches that erratic? Really?

I envisioned some little wire someplace that got so loose it moved from its proper position to an always hot position, explaining the erratic behavior and running with the switch off. What do I know, I'm not an automotive electrical genius--more like a dangerous kindergartener.

HAS ANYONE ELSE had the same trouble or had enough experience to know what I'm facing here? I'd hate to spend a large part of a Saturday or Sunday pulling out the dadgum switch only to find it is perfectly healthy. (But, then, maybe I'm off in the estimate of the time needed.)

All help is appreciated!
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Haunted Fan Reply with quote

I have never heard of such a thing. Most likely the fan switch shorted
The fan runs continous even at the lowest setting the only way the fan is off is to slide the upper bar to the left. I would go for the switch.
If the fan blows on all speeds when it works the resistor is good.
The fan could be bad but you can run direct power to check that.
1991 Cherokee Limited
Bladeforger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Haunted Fan Reply with quote

88WOWJ wrote:
I have never heard of such a thing. Most likely the fan switch shorted
The fan runs continous even at the lowest setting the only way the fan is off is to slide the upper bar to the left. I would go for the switch.
If the fan blows on all speeds when it works the resistor is good.
The fan could be bad but you can run direct power to check that.

So... a shorted fan switch could make it run even if the ignition switch is off? That was the part that was blowing my mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: