Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep overheating

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyerjib

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Jeep overheating Reply with quote

ok... this is the oddest thing I have ever encountered in all my years of working on cars... HELP! I recently replaced my stock 2 row radiator with a new 3 row because I noticed the fluid was beginning to leak out of the top of the plastic (common problem in stock Jeep radiators). I never had any problems with the temp before I changed it. I started noticing that it was running hotter but only at highway speeds NOT sitting still. I ended up putting in a new electric fan (which operates as advertised) and I'm still running quite a bit hotter than norm at highway speeds. I have also changed out my water pump and my thermostat... STILL RUNNING HOT AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS! It cools right back down to the normal temp once I gett off the interstate and back to city street speeds?!? I'm not loosing any fluids and everything seems to be working the way they're supposed to. So what's not working?!? The only thing left is the temp sensor. WTF!!! SOMEONE HELP!!
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly....but a lot of the guys in the warmer climates preferred the 2-core because it used bigger fins in the radiator.
Jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: hot Reply with quote

Did you drill a hole in the thermostat? Maybe your air bound at higher rpm.
canuck4welr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of drilling a hole in a thermostat before. Can you explain this to me please?
flyerjib

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the larger fins/thinner radiator (2 row) makes sense to me but I have never heard of drilling a hole in the thermostat either... please enlighten me!? popcorn
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Dana 44s front and rear w/ air lockers and hub conversion+much, much more... OlllllllO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something off the wall to check, but is it possible the water pump suction hose (aka: bottom radiator hose) spring has moved further up allowing the suction hose to collapse??? I've had it happen before on other Jeeps I've had...Especially when I replaced the radiator with a higher flow unit. So something to possibly check. If the spring is out of position (even a little) I'd simply replace the radiator hose with a formed hose.

BTW, it will usually happen at higher RPM's you'll see it collapse a bit thereby restricting the flow.

Just something I've seen before and worth maybe a look see. Wink
flyerjib

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was brought up to me to check the hose but the way you put it make much more sense than the other dude that told me. I will check that out and fill you in. Thanks for the help guys... I'm still leaning towards a defective radiator but not ruling anything out yet.
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
Jon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you replace the water pump and thermostat you have to refill the cooling system with coolant. Sometimes air pockets get trapped in the engine block and underneth the the thermostat and if the thermostat has no hot liquid on it it will not open and allow coolant to flow through the radiator this happend to me with my willys. It would idle at a cool temp but when you went down the road it would overheat. I drilled a small hole in it and never had the problem again.
flyerjib

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not too sure on where you would drill a hole in the thermostat to allow air to escape and not have a leak of some sorts... I think I figured out what the issue is though. The stock radiator is aluminum with a plastic top (which was the problem I had to replace). I replaced it with an all metal 3 row radiator whick is made out of metal and copper. This type of radiator does not cool as well as the aluminum radiator. I replaced the thermostat again, this time with a 180 degree one and set my electric fan to come on at a cooler temperature. It is still getting slightly over the 210 mark on my guge but not nearly as severe. I believe that it is just going to run slightly hotter do to the type of radiator that is in there now. As long as it isn't overheating I can deal with it. I am going to put some of that "cool-it" radiator additive in it to see if it will drop the temp a little more?!? Anyone out there swap their stock rad out with an all metal 3 row and notice it is running a little warmer or am I just on crack?! pull hair
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did 'burp' the system several times, right?

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
flyerjib

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. everything is running up to par... it is just running slightly warmer than it used to.
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only guess what he was talking about drilling hole in thermastat?

I have heard of some brands of thermastats that have a DESIGNED small hole in rim so that in case of total (CLOSED) failure of thermastat from opening that there would always be a trickle past it so that engine would not burn up. (Most thermastats tend to fail by sticking open these days? MUCH SAFER!) I have heard (I think) of guys that would engineer their own hole technology in thermastats that didn't follow this technique.

I think that redesign should ALMOST always be left to real engineers?

You stated that by changing thermastat value and electric fan setting you can change the operating temperature? This may just be your new normal (NORM) after implementing a different Radiator?

If engine is not actually overheating and temperature range is not exceeded, likely that you are simply seeing a difference in radiator characteristics?

Heck I don't know, I am a computer geek!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Jon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pissed HEY AS!@#$% IF YOU DONT WANT SOMEONES ADVICE ON YOUR MECHANICAL PROBLEMS THAN YOU SHOULD NOT POST! IT`S OBVIOUS YOU HAVE MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS, IF YOUR STILL F-D UP TAKE THE THING TO THE DEALERSHIP. AND TO THE OTHER GUY WAY TO FOLLOW THE FORUM RULES Finger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
pissed HEY AS!@#$% IF YOU DONT WANT SOMEONES ADVICE ON YOUR MECHANICAL PROBLEMS THAN YOU SHOULD NOT POST! IT`S OBVIOUS YOU HAVE MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS, IF YOUR STILL F-D UP TAKE THE THING TO THE DEALERSHIP. AND TO THE OTHER GUY WAY TO FOLLOW THE FORUM RULES Finger

What's your malfunction?
flyerjib

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon... what crawled up your butt? I don't think anyone pulled your string or even farted in your direction! Are you having a heavy flow day? tool We are simply tossing around ideas of what the issue could be. No one discredited your opinion... no one had ever heard of drilling a hole through a thermostat before. Just get off your high horse and chill!
Custom bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Herculiner interior
Neoprene seat covers

Last edited by flyerjib on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: