Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OBD CODES 1997 GRAND

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1997GRAND

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: OBD CODES 1997 GRAND Reply with quote

CAN ANYONE HELP ME MY JEEP IS AT THE SHOP TRYING TO GET IT INSPECTED BUT THEY TELL ME THEY CAN'T GET THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OUT . COMING UP WITH A CODE 300,301,303 MISFIRE DETECTED
SHE RUNS GREAT HIGH RPM AT IDLE IT'S ALITTLE ROUGH. THEY SAY THAT CYC NUMBER1 IS AT 100LBS OF COMPRESSION ALL THE REST ARE 150 OR BETTER. thEY CHANGED THE CRANK SENSOR STILL NOTHIG .
NOW THEY TELL ME THE HEAD HAS TO COME OFF TO CHECK THE VALVES
THE JEEP HAS 107000. IS THERE ANY ELSE IT GOOD BE BEFORE GOING THIS ROUT PLEASE HELP THANK YOU.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they tell you why they wanted to remove the head? That's your first problem. Don't let them touch the head until they know why it's losing compression. Did the engine overheat ever? Could be warped.

1. If the jeep ever seriously overheated, the head could be warped.

2. probably a leak. -- spark plugs, valves, manifold ports maybe?

(Note: definately find out why, removing the head is about 8 hours labor alone)

I had to take the head off because the engine overheated, warped the head, and I was losing compression in 3 of the 6 cylindars (stock 4.0L).
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
1997GRAND

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: obd code Reply with quote

NO the jeep has never over heated , They said they shot some prussure in the # 1 cyc and the pressure shot out of the trotle body so the feel the vaule is stuck open . It drive me crazy because the truck runs great .
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it happens, i just found out one of my injectors is leaking. after 15+ min. after shut down the fuel leaks out.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, did they already do the work? cause it not (and you're mechanically inclined), get the jeep back, pull the head yourself and just take it to a machine shop to get it fixed. Saves you 8 hrs labor from a mechanic.

P.S. don't use caps. it's considered yelling, and even if you're pissed, don't take it out on us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: