Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap roof racks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Cheap roof racks? Reply with quote

I need to find a roof luggage rack for my 96 cherokee but their expensive.Where can I find a good looking (new or used) one cheap?
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you looking for a stock rack or an aftermarket. your best bet for something cheap is a junkyard somewhere.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
arxj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i'm looking for an after market one
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can something cheap for around $100 or so. What are the plans for it and/or how much weight do you plan to put on it. That's going to dictate how much you spend.

The stronger/better looking the rack, the more it's going to cost. I have a Garvin Wilderness rack. It was not cheap but it's tough as nails. I've bounced it hard off of a lot of trees and all I get is scuff marks.

Do some Google searches: A search on 'jeep cherokee roof rack' turned up lots of hits.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
01xj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Roof rack Reply with quote

I bought a Garvin Wilderness rack for my 01. Love it. Definately worth the money.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much did you guys pay and from where?
PNWXJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one for free at Home Depot. Well, almost free. Had to buy the floor manager an iced coffee in exhange.
The big Gorilla racks they use to stack lumber and heavy stuff one have steel grates that just so happen to fit Jeeps.
I think they're 48"x48". Flip them upside down and you have side bars.
I like that the ends are open. I usually tie down some long 2x4's for fire wood when we camp.
You'll need a standard rack with bars like Yakima or Thule to mount it to but damn strong and best of all free.
I don't think the factory bars will hold much at all.
Mine had a bent corner from a fork lift mishap but nothing a propane torch and some vice grips couldn't fix.

Most expensive part was a $6 can of black Krylon paint and a handful of small u-bolts to clamp it down.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNWCJ do you have any pics? there is only 2 sides to is? no front or rear railing? how exactly did you mount it?
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on holding a lot of gear, or especially a spare tire, deffinately look into an aftermarket rack as well. The Yakima rack for Jeeps is rated for about 250lbs on each bar (though I don't know about the roof itself). The Yakima racks are fairly expensive, but I've had mine about 2 years and love every minute of it.

The Thule racks are a little less expensive, but my brother in law has one and puts his surfboards, his 32" spare and many other things on it. He loves it, and it's a fair amount cheaper than the Yakima.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
BTO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the Valley rack from here.

http://www.etrailer.com/c-CCR.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: