Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual electric fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
935speedxj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidXJ wrote:
Sorry, I just had an idea, so I'm replying again.

Since you don't use your AC pump for AC, then it doesn't really matter if the fan kicks on and off with the pump. So if you convert to dual electric fans, have the stock electric fan kick on and off with the signal from the new temperature sender you would install for the new fan. Each fan would need its own relay, but the signal could activate both. This way, it doesn't matter whether the computer is sending screwy signals or not, since they cost like $400 to replace (and would need to be formatted by someone with the proper equipment, I believe, if changed).

If you don't plan on switching to dual fans, I still don't have any idea what could cause your fan not to come on. It might have something to do with not having the AC hooked up. Regardless, it should still come on at hotter temps. Maybe leave your radiator cap off and let it get a little too warm and see if this causes the fan to come on. If not, then I am out of ideas.

Oh, wait. It could be the relay. If you can get another relay (like the one supposed to be for your AC), change out the one for the aux. fan and see if that helps. If it doesn't, use a voltage tester to see if the relay is being sent a signal from the computer. It is a real small voltage, like 1-2 volts, that activates the relay. There are diagrams out there on the web that show which posts on the relay go where which should help you figure out which one is coming from the computer. If you are never getting a signal from the computer, even when it is a little too hot, then at least you have eliminated the relay as the problem.

Does your temperature gauge in the dash work properly?

well i traced every wire for the fan an relay an they are all good.....but yea i did try another relay an it did not work....an all the sensors are new i replaced them..... an no my temp gauge dont work i swaped my old dummy light cluster for a gauge cluster ....everything works but that temp gauge....
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

935speedXJ,

I thought maybe if your gauge in the dash didn't work that the stock temperature sending unit was bad, which could be why it runs like crap until it is warmed up. But then you said you said all the sensors were new, so that can't be it. Besides, if the sender wasn't working, who knows what that would do to the computer. Sorry, I'm stumped.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a write-up on my dual electric fan conversion @ http://www.cardomain.com/id/DavidXJ98. This shows the basics of how I went about the conversion and what it will require to do this conversion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: