Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camshaft position sensor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcrouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Camshaft position sensor Reply with quote

Hi-

I've searched both the Napa and Checker websites for camshaft position sensors but nothing was found. Is there a different name for these that I should be searching on? I was able to locate a crankshaft position sensor on each of the sites. They go for roughly 40 bucks.

Thanks
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Camshaft Position sensor Reply with quote

The last time I looked I have never seen any on an XJ.
They dont have camshaft position sensor. They do have crankshaft
position sensor. Located on the left side of the rear of the engine.
1991 Cherokee Limited
jcrouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that certainly explains why I can't find it! After reading the earlier post about the hard starting Cherokee and seeing mention of a camshaft position sensor, I thought they had them.

As far as the crankshaft position sensor; that same earlier post mentioned it was located below the timing cover. Did the location of the CPS change at some point or am I once again making a misinterpretation Embarassed

Thanks again.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: sensors Reply with quote

According to my handy dandy manual the CPS is in the bell housing and works by reading the teeth on the flywheel. Only 2000 and later models had the Camshaft one. Grand Cherokee's had a crankshaft one early on.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
jcrouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification; I appreciate it. I looked at both Checker and Napa here in town, along with a large used bookstore, for a repair manual but haven't had any luck. I'll see about getting them to order one for me. I've got a factory manual for my Scout II and it has come in real handy but I'm hoping that a Hayes or similar manual will suffice for my XJ.

Thanks again for the help.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Hayes, but I love the factory manual for my XJ.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
spotter6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: CPS or CPS? Reply with quote

Whilest I realize this post is indeed after the fact and probably will not help the original poster but I had to chime in here so that others using the search feature end up pointing in the right direction.

It appears that CPS is used generically to describe two different parts on this thread. It has confused me thoroughly so hopefully I can help the next man out.

1.) There is the CPS referencing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. On some models "mine included" this sensor is located on the bell housing of the tranny on the drivers side and is connected to a plug on the intake manifold. PITA to replace.

2.) There is also the CPS referencing the Camshaft Position Sensor. On my particular model and from what I understand all point related - "distributor"- based ignition systems this actually the Stator. Which is located in the distributor under the cap and rotor.

Both send information to the ECM regarding spark and fuel pulse for the engine from what I have gathered.

If I am incorrect please let know, but I don't think I too far off and Hopefully, this helps the next person looking whichever version of the CPS sensor they need.

Steve

99 Cherokee Sport 4.0 EFI
'Nothing fancy yet'
soberidiot22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with my haynes i love it
although i am looking into getting either a factory or a chilton
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: manuals Reply with quote

A Chilton will be very similar to a Haynes. If you want more info go with the factory. Oh yeah, I agree with the CPS being a PITA to replace.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: