Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this warranty worth it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsebesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Is this warranty worth it? Reply with quote

I am buying my first Jeep this week, a 1997 wrangler 4.0L with 69k miles. I will be using this mostly as a daily driver. The credit union offered a 3 year 36k mile warranty from route66warranty. It costs $1100 bucks and has a zero dollar deductible. It covers the engine, transmission, 4 wheel drive, and a couple other little things, but mostly those big three. I know a little about fixing vehicles, but just enough to be dangerous. I'm no expert. Being a 9 year old Jeep with 69K miles should I purchase the warranty anticipating an eventual problem with the engine, transmission, or 4 wheel drive?
Has anyone had any experience with this route66 warranty?
Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a gambling man?

Me personally, I don't like extended warranties. They are a huge money maker for the businesses that offer them. Think about it...on a case by case basis, they may lose money sometimes. However, as a product overall, they wouldn't offer warranties like this if they weren't making a killing because they aren't doing it to be nice.

I say no.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question is... Do you know what kind of condition the jeep is in?

I ran into a huge problem with mine. The previous owner never checked/replaced the coolant and it costed me dearly. I got my '97 XJ w/ 72k miles and 2 years later found my cooling system falling apart. First, my radiator cracked. Lost all fluid and overheated. Next, the freeze plug in the rear of the head (4.0L) rusted through and leaked out all fluid. This time, the temp didn't register overheated and I was driving highway to work. This time, it warped the head. Since the problems started I've spent over $2000 fixing it, towing it, etc. So, long story short(-ish), I would recommend the warranty unless you KNOW the jeep is in good shape.

So, my vote, unless you're absolutely sure, get the warranty.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
bsebesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Don't know for sure Reply with quote

I can't say for absolte certainty the condition of the Jeep. I am picking the Jeep up in Philadelphia on Tuesday. I bought the Jeep from a deslership over the internet. (risky, I know) The carfax has all checked out and the Jeep appears to be in very good condition, but again I don't know the previous owners and the Jeep's complete history. For this reason I have been leaning towards the warranty. I agree with the previous post, and know that these are huge money makers for those who offer them, and something serious will have to go wrong for the warranty to be worth it. But, again not knowing for sure I am inclined to purchase.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my 2 cents. I do agree with ehirner on extended warranties are often a waste of money.

However, your buying a Jeep site unseen. Are you good at working on cars? Meaning if there is a problem are you going to be able to figure it out? If NO, I would lay down the cash and not worry about it for 3years.

Keep this in mind thou. What your paying covers the big stuff. It doesn't cover normally wear and tear items like brakes, clutch and little things. You will still have to address them as well.

If you are able to work on cars take your money and put it into something else you might need/want for your Jeep.
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if extended warranties have the same sort of stipulations that factory warranties do, but I've heard of many instances in which things weren't covered due to aftermarket modifications done by the owner. Check the fine print and make sure that you won't void the warranty if you do make any mods. Another thought is since the warranty is offered through a credit union instead of a dealership, if you do have to have something fixed under warranty, who does the repairs? A dealership would definitely be more expensive than an independent shop. Would the replacement parts be factory OE replacement parts, used parts, or aftermarket parts probably made in China? To me, $1100 seems like a lot of money to pay to cover a 9 year old vehicle.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: