Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifted the XJ 3.5" need advice quick!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomynoks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Lifted the XJ 3.5" need advice quick!!! Reply with quote

Ok, it's finally done!!! BUT..... I have major vibration upon acceleration and gawd-awful grinding coming from rear for a short time immediately upon decelaration. As far as I know, I have a few options... T-case drop or degree shims.. seems to me the T-case drop will be easier...both are inexpensive. What about the grinding? Anyone had this problem? I used the RE6030 super-flex 3.5" lift kit w/ full rear springs.....
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lifted mine a bit more (4.5"), it is a bit older (92xj) but my symptoms of needing a SYE was that upon lifting, when we tried to back it out of the garage the rear drive shaft bound and it "CLUNKED" when it released. This repeated as i tried to move it down the driveway. Easiest way to describe it was it felt like it was a Fred Flintstone mobile with Square tires!

I moved it slowly and my buddy got down on ground and could see the driveshaft bind/ release/clunk in time with noise!

I don't know if yours is same just lesser severity?

A transfer case drop (1") was installed on mine but I removed it after the SYE. At that time I was unaware of practice of using shims on rear axle along with Transfercase Drop kit but I speculate that due to the severity of mine, I needed (and don't regret now, going ahead with SYE!) I would however suggest that IF I had it to do over again, I would probably install a new shaft type SYE, or even a pre-built/re-built HD Transfer Case with SYE installed) than the Hack & Tap SYE I installed. While many are happy and satisfied with Hack & Tap I have had some leaky issues and it was a difficult installation (MAINLY because of a Drill bit broken off while drilling center hole in cut off drive shaft!) Broken Drill bits are HARD to drill through!

My vibrations/noises were completely eliminated by SYE and new Driveshaft though.

Good luck and let us know what you determine!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
tomynoks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the SYE is best, but $$ is a concern right now. I don't have any clunking, just some vibration on acceleration and that damn grinding?? immediately upon letting my foot off the gas.... I'll start with dropping the T-case, go from there and play it by ear.. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the quick reply.
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transfercase Drop is ONLY 4 grade 8 bolts and 4 - 1" Spacers.

I would think you could find what you needed at Local Autoparts store or a Home Depot/Lowes. (Steel Pipe cut into 1" spacers, but use GRADE 8 Bolts 1" longer that what you currently have.)

(The picture of my Jeep shows the Transfer drop still installed)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
tomynoks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the T-case drop with 1x2 (3/4"x1.5") steel tube per a write-up posted here. I think I'll add another 1/4" as it didn't entirely get rid of the vibration. I think adding degree shims would help straighten out the drive line angle as well. DO you have idea what degree I should try??
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: