Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rubicon Express 3.5 (Extreme Duty) lift questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Rubicon Express 3.5 (Extreme Duty) lift questions Reply with quote

I want to lift my Jeep and I mainly drive on the road but want it to be more capable off Road. Im on a budget and I think 2 inches is not enough. Also I picked RE because I heard they have the best stuff. My question is, can I do it myself? Should expect rear driveshaft and slip yoke problems to occur? What kind of tires? Thanx for looking, the help is appreciated? 94 Jeep Cherokee Country 162xxx miles. AUTO
Borla cat back w\cat delete
62mm throttle body w\helix 62mm spacer
Cold Air intake
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good set of hand tools and are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. There's quite a few writeups out there to give you an idea what you are getting into:

This is one CoreyXJ did on his 3.5" install -

This is a writeup I did on a TJ, but it will give you an idea of the tools needed and work involved (especially since the front ends of TJ's are almost exactly the same as XJ's) -

There's lots more out there. Look in the Projects and Reviews forum as well as on the tech page.

As far as needing ans SYE, there's no one answer to the question. Every XJ reacts differently to there isn't a yes or no answer. You might need a SYE/driveshaft and you might not. You could install the lift and have no driveline vibes at all...or you might not roll 6 feet without hearing a horrible clunking/vibration...or anywhere inbetween. The best advice I can give is to be prepared to buy/install an SYE. You might be able to get away with a t-case drop...or might have to do nothing at all. You really won't know until you get the lift under it and test drive it.

What type of tire you pick is going to mainly depend on what your wheeling in. Since you're on road a lot, an all terrain would be a good choice. Nice, quiet, smooth onroad ride and does pretty well offorad...but not in mud. So if you like to play in the mud go with a mud terrain.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the RE6030 3.5" Super flex lift last weekend.. I am no grease monkey, but with a little help from a friend.. you took a trip to Urgent Care (Hi-Lift jack cut his finger to the bone) half way through the day Sat, we were able to get 'r done. My friend was dedicated though and was up working on my XJ at first light Sunday. Go over the instructions thoroughly. I found that they tell WHAT to do....but not necessarily HOW to do it. Check the write ups on this site, they are great. Soak EVERYTHING with PB (penetrating oil) for two days prior!! I lucked out and didn't break anything. Biggest trouble I had was that JeepinJoe in CA sent me the U-bolts for the Dana rear axle and I have the Chrysler.... check that before you even start and make sure you have the right ones. Since it was Sunday and nothing was open, I made them fit. I don't recommend it though. I had a lot of vibration and a gawd-awful grinding upon deceleration... I did a T-case drop tonight according to a write-up here using 1x2 (3/4" x 1.5") Steel tube. It's a whole lot better but I think degree shims will solve it 100%. I'm glad to be able to finally offer some advice instead of just asking for it!!!

You can email me at if you have any questions.
'99 XJ Sport
AirAid Intake
PowerAid Throttle body spacer
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: