Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lift & Handling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Mountain ZJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Lift & Handling Reply with quote

I just installed an OME 2.5" lift on a 97 ZJ. It included 4-new coils, 4- 1.25" spacers, and an OME steering stabilizer. I also installed an adjustable track bar to recenter the front axle and adjustable JKS anti-swaybar disconnects. Everything went on pretty well considering I'm in rust belt central. I ended up throwing the dice on some 265/75/r16 BFG ATs and having them fit after minor front bumper trimming and adjusting the steering stops. So far so good, right. I expected a little more sway in the handling and really maybe I just have some unrealistic expectations but when I drive it now it seems to handle funny. When I turn to right it turns great. Maybe even better than stock. But when I turn to the left it seems to turn faster and sway harder. My question are: 1) Is there anything I may have overlooked (rear adj. track bar maybe)? 2)Is there anything else I can do to improve the onroad handling (possibly a different sway bar)? It is a dayly driver. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-MC
nixt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar set up in my '98 5.9 ZJ. The heavy OME suspension, springs, shocks, trim packers, steering stabilizer, and I added 2" Rocky Road spacers. Initially I had problems with the swaybar being stretched or warped to fit, so my options were a new swaybar, new links or disconnects. I had a local machine shop make up some new links until I get the longer disconnects. My tires are 235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's they measure a true 32" but I've had to extend the rear bumpstops to prevent rubbing in the rear wheelwells. I wish that I had used a bar pin eliminator to prevent the "thumping" sound from the shocks.
In your case, if you still have the stock steering stabilizer hook it up and see if the problem persists, if so then you know it's not the OME stabilizer. Then I would check the swaybar disconnects and make sure that I've gotten them run out or clocked to an equal level. As for the adjustable trackbar, I've never personally dealt with one of those so you may want to seek help from someone else or a professional shop.
Here are a few thoughts and observations though: did you get the correct weight shocks and springs for the front and rear of your Jeep? OME makes light and heavy rate shocks and springs based on your engine and estimated load capacity. Also, when you notice the sway being more prominent to one side or the other does it primarily occur during braking, if so, then you may want to get your brakes and alignment checked because it may not be the suspension at all. There in lies the problem of all of these adjustable parts- if you don't have any experience adjusting them then you just have to go with the trial and error method.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Green Mountain ZJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I appreciate you mentioning the need to extend the rear bumpstops also. I have yet to flex the jeep out and experience that and the foresight on this may save more headscratching. You mentioned a few things that got me thinking. When I put the front discos on, i put them to equal length (per instructions I believe, yeah, I read 'em). One of my old anti-swaybar brackets was broken. Could it be that one side of the swaybar was stretched or off? Should I just get a heavier duty swaybar or experiment with the discoes lengths? As for the OME setup, it was a package deal. The springs are medium duty and the OME shocks came with it. The sway happens on all corners and no braking is involved. Did you do anything with the rear swaybar or trackbar. One of my theories is that the jeep is "dogtracking" because I recentered the front and not the back axle. The back looked like it was pretty well centered after the lift so I called it good. I left the old rear swaybar mounts alone as well. No instructions with the OME lift so it is hard to tell if anything needed to be done to the rear axle.
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it turned out that my swaybar wasn't broken- there wasn't anything really wrong with it. It was one of the links that had broken. I just had some longer ones made up as a stopgap measure so that I could safely drive since it is my daily driver. The links were made of 3/8" steel so I still take it really easy. Thanks for reminding me to order new longer disconnects.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
zjrocks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help but i have a 97 orivis addition which came factory with 2" lift they put a drop kit for the rear track bar. my new kit is the rock krawler 4" it aliminates the rear track bar all together.
Green Mountain ZJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does help, thanks. It supports my previously stated "dogtracking" theory. I'm leaning towards the JKS adjustable rear trackbar or maybe calling jeep to see what the scoop is on the Orvis relocation bracket. I'm guessing your Rock Krawler 4" is a long arm kit. How do you like that and what do they go for (if you don't mind me asking)?
zjrocks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i went with the short arm mainly the price it was about 1,250 went thru rough country. As far as that bracket goes I hear that they are not a good idea becuse of leveradge.I would go to kevinsjeep.com they are very helpful.PS Ido like my lift great articulation just added another 2" budget lift to it.
Green Mountain ZJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Rockcrawler eliminate the rear trackbar? I thought it would have been with a triangulated long arm setup. Thanks for the tip on Kevin's. I found his site after I got my lift. Wish I would have just got a lift through him. I did get his track bar conversion, JKS discoes, radiator support bracket, and a steering box bracket. Parts have been high quality and service to match. His site is where I found the JKS adjustable rear track bar.
zjrocks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to rockkrawler.com and yes thats with a k. you can see all there lifts. what they do is make like a try link but with two upper bars you have a cradle that you weld over your axel or they have a bolt on one not as strong. you get so much articulation if i put on longer shocks i would have my springs falling out. With this kit i have not had to do anything with my steering or trans drop works great
Green Mountain ZJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the hot set-up for a short arm. I have an 8.8 Explorer rear axle that I am getting ready to put under there anyways and rockkrawler had the weld-in unit for that axle. I am going that route as you can purchase the rear triangulated set-up separately from the suspension lift kit. Thanks for the hook-up as I wanted to get rid of the rear track bar set-up but the long arm setup was a little extreme for a daily driver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: