Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereo Overheating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topdown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Stereo Overheating Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Great site. I'm hoping someone might give me a hand. I recently tried to install a Aiwa CDC-x227 into my 98 TJ. It originally came from a Ford Taurus I own. I bought a Jeep wire harness and matched the wire color for color to the radio off of the Ford harness. I set up the radio in the Jeep and the only thing different between the two vehicles is the Jeep has the heavy steel grounding cable that connects to the back. If I dont connect the grounding cable, the speakers dont work. If I connect the grounding cable the speakers work but the heat sync in back gets super hot to the touch. It eventually shuts down the amp untill I unplug it or turn off the switch and let it cool down. The aggrivating part is the factory radio works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the ground for the stereo. You need it to complete the circuit and the stereo to work. When it's on, the internal amp in the head unit creates heat, right where the heat sink is located. What can you do? Make sure there isn't a lot of wires bundled up around the heat sink. Make sure it has good ventilation and hope for the best.
Topdown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ehirner,

Unfortunately the problem is it overheats to the point of shutting down the pre-amp. Theres got to be a reason its heating up to that high a temp. I just cant figure out what is causing it.

Scott
Soundshop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem actually could be the speakers. see amplifiers are designed for a particular "load" measured in ohms. the original radio very well may have been driving a 2 ohm load (the speakers) this is typically more effeicient than the standard 4 ohm and is becoming more common. if the new radio you are putting is is designed for a 4 ohm load, then it will heat up, because it was not designed for the 2 ohm load. If you really want to use that radio, then what you "could" do is connect the front right and rear right speakers in series. and do the same for the left side. that will creat the proper load, but will eliminate one internal amplifier and you will loose the fader control (all will be equal volume), If this works yuo could consider new speakers and all would be well. another option if you want to try to cool it, is get a computer case fan (the run on 12V.) and somehow mount it over the heat sink. connect it to a switched 12 volt wire and it will turn on when the vehical is running, and may keep the temps down to where it won't shut down...

Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: