Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECM Install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: ECM Install Reply with quote

I recently bought a Mopar Performance ECM (engine control computer) online for my '98 5.9 ZJ. I read the instructions for the installation and it says that on 1998 and later vehicles that you have to take the vehicle to a dealership and have it programmed with the vehicles VIN and mileage. The instructions say that this should only take 15 minutes. I figured that if it doesn't cost too much that I may as well have the dealer install it since I would have to take it there anyway. So I called the dealership to find out how much it would cost and they tell me that it would cost $200 in labor to install and program the computer. I thought that this was an outrageous amount so I ask them if I install it how much does it cost to program the computer. They quote me a price of $99.69. This seems like an entirely retarded amount for 15 minutes of work. Has anyone had a performance computer installed in their vehicle? If so, how much did it cost? Is it entirely necessary for the dealer to program the VIN and mileage? Will it work without it? Do you have to go to a dealer or can a repair shop do it? If the programming is necessary and I install it myself (which I can probably do without too much trouble) can I drive to the shop and get it programmed or is it necessary to have the programming done before you drive the vehicle on the street? I already spent about $300 for the computer and I wasn't anticipating another $200 cost. I'm interested in your responses because I kind of get the feeling that the dealer is charging this outrageous amount because I didn't buy the part from them and they are acting this kind of thing is just a hassle for them to do. But $200 for 15 minutes of work is just ridiculous.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it today. I put the ECM on myself in about 45 minutes. If I had an extra set of hands and a digital camera I'd have done a write up. The most trouble I had was finding the right size driver for the nut and the confined spaces. All's running well on premium gas and none of the warning lights that were mentioned in the instructions came on. Next on for tomorrow is my K&N FIPK.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notice any gains?
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, I was told to expect a gain of between 10 and 12% of hp and torque. So at my stock numbers of 245hp and 355lb/ft, I'm guessing about 25 horses and 36 lb/ft (I know, I know, those are measured from the crank). It's really noticeable during launches from a complete stop and passing as well. It will finally spin the tires again; that's the first time since I've lifted it and put on 32 inchers. Today I'm installing the K&N FIPK gen 2 to replace my K&N panel filter. They had the greatest gain of any of the vehicles they tested on a 5.2 ZJ so I'm hopeful (they gained almost 27hp on a chassis dyno). I've had the FIPK for a while, but I just wanted to try to do all of my power gains at once in case they weren't noticeable one at a time. But I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to these mods I've done the flowmaster 50 series after cat Muffler. I'll keep you posted on how they work out.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: