Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POSSIBLE NEW JEEP CHEROKEE!!!!!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: POSSIBLE NEW JEEP CHEROKEE!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

NOTE: I SAID POSSIBLE, NOTHING IS CONFIRMED!!!!

I picked up a July 2004 copy of Popular Mechanics earlier this week as I was in the waiting room of the Women's Clinic for my GF, and found a very interesting article. I snagged the entire mag to show to Phantum and others to see if we can get the pic scanned in. The pic is of an SUV-sized vehicle with the "stealth cover" all over it (to protect the secrets of the vehicle until confirmed either as a concept or a production prototype). Here is the article:

JEEPERS CREEPERS

"This appears to be a stretched Jeep Cherokee prototype in the full ("stealth") armor. But what you see may not be what Jeep has planned. In fact, this is a new design for Jeep. Despite that over-the-top-cover-up, it's possible to spot a number of features that help indicate the vehicle's true shape."

"First, if you look carefully, you see the angle of the windshield is more upright than that of the newly introduced Grand Cherokee. This is of major importance because changing that angle requires a number of structural revisions - alterations that go right to the heart of the chassis."

"Second, at the vehicle's back end, the longer rear overhang indicates more space inside for a third row of seats. Both departures indicate Jeep is planning an entirely new vehicle for 2006 or 2007, and not simply a stretched version of the new-for-2005 Grand Cherokee."

...end of article...

CAPTION UNDER PICTURE:

"BEHIND THE MASK: This is an all-new Jeep model, due in '06 or '07."

Now, looking at the picture, the nose is slanted similar to the 2005 Grand, and looks to be a little taller (just by comparing the wheel-base to what I remember on the '05...). The top of the Jeep has the same pronounced RECTANGULAR shape like the XJs, but it is obviously LONGER than earlier models. Similarly, the side of the Jeep has the same three-window pattern as the other XJs but a little longer in the back, and the rear of the Jeep comes nearly straight down (like the rear hatches on late-year XJs...). The placement of the bumpers and gas cap are also similarly placed. It also looks to have step-guards already mounted between the tires, but as we all know, this is probably an option, not a requisite.

I will be looking into scanning the picture ASAP for everyone to see, but mind you, the pic is small. The article can be found under "DETROIT SPY REPORT" if anyone wants to research it.

And of course, if this is really a new Cherokee...

headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana headbang dancing banana

Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe like the Chinese 2500

Last edited by Billy's89XJ on Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I do love the taillights

nikon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i LIKE that a lot Shocked
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
greenbean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an XJ to me and overall dimensions from the pic look to be about the same,.... compared to my 2000xj the distance between the left rear fender well and the gas fill cover and the rear seems to be identical.
But i could be totally wrong too Very Happy just my .02

Will
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid front axle...whoooo!!! I still won't believe it till I see it, they made the Liberty and the Grand IFS, who's to say the XJ won't be too. Drake69, did the article say anything about that or have pics to prove otherwise?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tail lights.....look just like the Liberty tail lights. Finger

I really doubt DC would bring back anything that resembles the XJ to this degree. I could see them doing a special package on the Liberty and calling it a Cherokee. Speaking of that, you do know outside of North America, the Liberty is called the Cherokee?

Also, from the article quoted, I think they jumped to conclusions saying it was a new prototype Cherokee. Personally, without seeing the pic and trying to judge the vehicles size, I'd say it's more likely to be the Jeep Rescue concept perhaps moving along towards production, or a vehicle larger than the GC to compete with the Suburbans and Expeditions??? More vertical windshield. Larger rear overhand for 3rd row seating. Rectangular shape. Rear of Jeep comes straight down. Sounds exactly like the Jeep Rescue concept pics that we've all seen.
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Also, from the article quoted, I think they jumped to conclusions saying it was a new prototype Cherokee. Personally, without seeing the pic and trying to judge the vehicles size, I'd say it's more likely to be the Jeep Rescue concept perhaps moving along towards production, or a vehicle larger than the GC to compete with the Suburbans and Expeditions??? More vertical windshield. Larger rear overhand for 3rd row seating. Rectangular shape. Rear of Jeep comes straight down. Sounds exactly like the Jeep Rescue concept pics that we've all seen.

Not exactly. I'm looking at the pic again, and the rear still has the ANGLE like '99 and up Cherokees, which come nearly straight down. The article is also quoted word-for-word, so again, anything is possible. The pic doesn't have the height like the Rescue does, again comparing door-size to wheel-size, but then again it's hard to gauge that because it is wrapped up in the stealth armor. But overall, it looks like a normal Jeep Cherokee, just with the nose slanted and the even longer wheelbase. Picture a longer XJ with a Grand nosecone, and you get the idea. The pic is also only a profile, so there is no way to gauge actual width of the new Jeep either.

BTW, the comparison to the Grand is again the 2005 model, which is noticably SMALLER than earlier boat-sized Grand models.

Dang it, I REALLY need to scan this pic in so everyone can see it for themselves.

Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic's89XJ wrote:
Maybe like the Chinese 2500

You know something? If that nose was a little more slanted towards the front...

[EDIT] - Crap!! the rear still has to be longer than that....

jeepster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like a new edition of the Cherokee - the tried and tested workhorse.

It has been my believe the Liberty was only introduced to break the connection Jeepers have with the XJ. i.e. Jeep want new customers from overseas markets to sell new products and new parts.

Jeep does not want to cater to existing customers who have the XJ model.

They realised the need to have an upscale model between the crawler and Grand. The Liberty was a stop-gap to create the gap to disengage XJ owners.

Don`t know if anyone has tried to call Jeep head office for advice for anything - I did and got nothing except what is my address so we can sell you a new Jeep.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about the Liberty being "a stop-gap to create the gap to disengage XJ owners". DC, like any other corporation, makes decisions based on the bottom line. The fact is that Cherokee sales were declining. Here's the last 6 production years/numbers:

96 - 286,463
97 - 258,958
98 - 182,845
99 - 186,116
00 - 165,590
01 - 120,454

That was the reason for the XJ's demise. Period. They already had the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, whose numbers continue to do well. The KJ was designed to be marketed to those buying Kia's, Trackers, etc. Like Erik said, this new vehicle is most likely being targeted to compete with the large SUV market and is probably based around the Rescue and/or Dakar concept vehicles.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Norwegian Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you see on the picture is a beijing jeep xj, it's an xj produced by lisence in beijing. Only slight changes of the trim makes it different from the pree 96 Cherokee.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Old thread....

The vehicle in the magazine must be the Commander. Only thing I can think of...

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
happy hoppy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
I have never seen these pic.s of the beijing Jeep , thanks!

we ( wife and I ) have a 1997 Cherokee sport 2WD.
we got it in 1998, as a lease return from a Jeep dealer.
she loves it.

this year she wanted a new car, her 1st choice was a new Cherokee sport.
she wanted the same color, interior, etc...as our 1997.
she flipped when I told her Jeep stopped making them in 2001.

we looked for a low mileage 2001 Cherokee , but didn't find anything in near new cond.

we got her a MB, but she would trade it in for a new Cherokee in a min.

BTW, she didn't have the heart t sell old Cherokee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: