Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

96 towing wiring problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZJDAB

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: 96 towing wiring problem Reply with quote

Confused
So, I have my 7rv plug not working. I would like to get it fixed. Any ideas on what it might be? It is a factory install and I cannot find any information about wether a fuse or relay runs it. Please help.

Thank you

96 Grand Cherokee

could it be the brake controller in the back?

resoldering help??

it is $100 at autozone

Sad

Also can I wire in the Tauras E-Fan that Swamp did on here. But instead of switches run it to a thermostat?
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/
I do not have any cooling problems. Just could use the extra power in towing. Many save some GAS shock
kaos

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this applies to the '96 model, but on my '93 ZJ w. factory towing package there was a relay center for the trailer wiring behind the R.H. quarter panel. (Still is, but now modified for Euro standard wiring. The ZJ is US spec., imported used.)

There is an auto-resetting circuit breaker in there, but no fuses.

I would start by taking a look at the connector itself, and the wiring leading to it. At least on the salt-laden streets of Iceland, corrosion in the connector or wiring is the cause of at least 90% of all trailer wiring problems.

--
Best regards,
Kári.
ZJDAB

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

Shocked I looked there before didnt see anything. When it stops raining I will go out again.

YAH FOR ICELAND!!

Mr. Green
Greg G

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 97 that has the same problem. I have tried everything and can not find where the problem is but would be happy to see if someone does. Checked all the connections on the plug – they are good. I found the bank of relays on the Drivers side rear quarter panel – good luck there with out proper testing equipment. I thought that it would be a simple fix – WRONG…

1997 ZJ Grand Cherokee - 3" lift - BFG's
1992 XJ Cherokee - 4" lift - BFG's
1980 CJ-7 - 1 Ton way to much to list
1983 SJ Grand Cherokee
kaos

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZJDAB wrote:
I looked there before didnt see anything.

Did you open up the connector to see if the wires or terminals are corroded there? The terminals can look OK from the outside, but be a mass of corrosion in the back. Also, check the cable for any sign of visible damage. If there is a cut through the insulation, water can enter and cause corrosion.

Mind you, corrosion isn't the only possible problem, and if you live in relatively dry and/or salt free climate, it is much less likely than it is here.

If corrosion and blown fuses have been ruled out, it is time to start tracing faults, and the relay center is the obvious starting point.

Greg G wrote:
I found the bank of relays on the Drivers side rear quarter panel – good luck there with out proper testing equipment.

You will need, some tools of course, but you can get very far in this kind of tracing with a simple multimeter and a test lamp. A wiring diagram is very useful, you might say almost imperative, particularly if you are not used to this kind of work. Oh, and experience is of course very useful, but we all have to acquire that somewhere, and if you have the time and effort to spare, why not acquire some of it here Smile ? (Assuming you don't have it already, that is.)

I could post the wiring diagram from my '93 service manual, but if they have moved the relay center from the R.H. to the L.H. side, that means modified wiring, so it will not be accurate. Are you sure it is the trailer relay center, b.t.w.? According to my manual, '93 ZJ's equipped with the vehicle information console did have an electronics module on the R.H. side, but only for detecting burnt-out bulbs.

Note that when I speak of the 'trailer relay center' I might be suggesting too grand an appearance. It is (at least in my '93) not a monolithic block like the relay center beneath the glove box, or the power distribution center in the engine compartment. It is just a circuit breaker and two or three relays, plugged into individual molded connectors and interconnected by wire, the whole thing wrapped up in a sound insulation mat. Best way to identify it for certain is to see where the trailer connector cable goes.

Missed this before:

ZJDAB wrote:
Also can I wire in the Tauras E-Fan that Swamp did on here. But instead of switches run it to a thermostat?
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/fan/

Yes, you can. In fact, I would recommend it, unless you are certain that you would notice the thermometer rising before the engine overheats. A manual override switch could, however, be useful.

--
Best regards,
Kári.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: