Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 91 YJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: New 91 YJ Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just bought a 91 YJ today. I've always wanted a jeep but couldnt afford one until now. Im 19 and am going to be using it as my daily driver as well as my off road fun machine. It has 144,000 miles on the body, with an engine and trans rebuild at 100k. Its the I6 5spd. It's alot of new stock mechanical parts: suspension, differentials, U joints, and many other things. It has a 4 inch body lift and 33x12.5 all terrain tires, a hard top, and a grill guard. And passed a 150 point inspection.

All in all im very pleased with it. Theres just one thing that bothers me right now. The clutch engages and disengages very far out in the petal. It seems like the cable/conenction between the petal and actual clutch is stretched out or too loose. Is this something that can be adjusted or do i need a whole new clutch?

Besides that it seems very solid, are there any common things on a 91 that should be replaced or upgraded for reliability and off roading, before doing the common things like suspension lifts, winches, lockers ect.

Thanks in advance for any help. Im glad to finally have a jeep and glad theres a place like this to get advice.

~Evan
yosemitebobr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: New 91 YJ Reply with quote

Evan wrote:

All in all im very pleased with it. Theres just one thing that bothers me right now. The clutch engages and disengages very far out in the petal. It seems like the cable/conenction between the petal and actual clutch is stretched out or too loose. Is this something that can be adjusted or do i need a whole new clutch?

~Evan

Sounds like you got a great deal Evan. But now the clutch, there is no cable. It is hydraulic. Check your levels, bleed the clutch master, bleed it at the slave which you will find at the bell housing, well not a slave as that is inside the bell housing but the nipple is outside on the driver side of the housing. You will see the line go in and along side of it is the bleed port. It takes two people. Now if this does not work check the master make sure you are not leaking anywhere. The last option is going into the housing and the means dropping the trans. Try the simple things first.
workforbiscuits

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: New 91 YJ Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
It has a 4 inch body lift

Hot damn! I bet you got a nice short shifter going on now. And now you can store gear inbetween your frame and body. Very Happy
blalor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: New 91 YJ Reply with quote

yosemitebobr wrote:
Evan wrote:
The clutch engages and disengages very far out in the petal.

But now the clutch, there is no cable. It is hydraulic.

I'm not so sure that's a problem. I drove two XJs (and bought one of them) with the same drivetrain as your YJ this past weekend. I noticed the same thing and wondered about the first one, but they're both very similar in feel. The one I bought has a new clutch, throw-out bearing, and master and slave cylinders. I'd say the bottom 75% of the clutch pedal travel doesn't do anything except engage the starter safety switch. It's annoying, but I'm not sure it's a problem... I'm no expert, tho! Smile
workforbiscuits

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fluid in the clutch master cylinder. On my YJ if the fluid gets low the clutch does the same thing and only seems to work at the very end. If it's low, remember it takes DOT-3 approved brake fluid.
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently ive gotten used to the clutch position, its still a pain when im wheeling sometimes but not too bad. ill check the hydraulic fluid, and bleed and replace if need be. And i looked and measured and realized its not a 4" body lift its a 3 inch body lift and a 2 inch shackle lift. I plan on taking the body lift off as soon as i do some suspension work or at least take it down to 1 inch max. Thanks for all the advice.
pipxj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on getting rid of the body lift. While it gives room for bigger tires it also raises your center of gravity.

My XJ has an AX-5. The clutch is very smooth, but you have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to totally engage it. The master cylinder is full, it's just always been that way and I've gotten used to it.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Recently ive gotten used to the clutch position, its still a pain when im wheeling sometimes but not too bad. ill check the hydraulic fluid, and bleed and replace if need be. And i looked and measured and realized its not a 4" body lift its a 3 inch body lift and a 2 inch shackle lift. I plan on taking the body lift off as soon as i do some suspension work or at least take it down to 1 inch max. Thanks for all the advice.

Get a good quality 1" body lift like a daystar and also get a 1" motor mount lift. That will get your drive train all straightened out for a few inches of suspension lift. It worked great on my YJ ( I also have a SYE/CV driveshaft that helps too, this might be your next step after some lift)

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: