Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JH run at RC today...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hubdeep
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What trails did you guys end up running?

Did the plans work out 'drack?
_________________
Maryland Creepers Offroad Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy


Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Location: This side of sanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We split into 2 groups. The group I was with yawned through most of trail 6, with the exception of 1 hill that all but 1 vehicle winched up. We lost a vehicle at that point due to a ujoint and another due to scheduling conflicts. We then moved on to rock creek. Interesting, and would probably be a decent place to play in 60-75 degree weather with out all the snow causing walking to be dangerous. I liked how the snow hid what was ahead in the rocks while driving, but it sucked for walking. I think everyone in our group fell at least once in that area, and a few of us found knee-deep pits to fall into. And each kid got a shoe sucked off by the snow pits at one point or another.

Decent day. I like paragon better for the organization and ability to call the office if anything goes wrong. Not to mention there are dirt roads back to staging at paragon. We had to go out to the actual road and drive a couple of crippled jeeps down a winding no-passing 2 lane road. At no better than 10 MPH. Any wonder why the cars that finally passed us were flipping us off??? Oh, and the parking area was locked in the morning. We wound up parking somewhere else. Nice touch. Rolling Eyes

I do have pics, but I got home from this grand adventure at Midnight, and I'm working right now. They will be up later on today or tonite.
_________________
dan is the coolest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin


Joined: 03 Jan 2004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the easier group, I don't remember the trails, but I'll try to figure it out later.. I believe there was a 13 in there somewhere..
_________________
Just damn happy to have my Jeep back, it's been a long time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
OlllllllO
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Location: Ephrata, PA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
I went with the easier group, I don't remember the trails, but I'll try to figure it out later.. I believe there was a 13 in there somewhere..


we ran 2,11,13 and most of lower 3(kinda by mistake Mr. Green )
_________________
97 TJ--31.10.50 BFG AT's and more to come

94 YJ--3.5" of lift/32x11.50 BFG MT KM's and one bad motor....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲


Joined: 01 Jan 2004
Location: points that way...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubdeep wrote:
What trails did you guys end up running?

Did the plans work out 'drack?


There was a huge turnout.....and I left the list at home Confused . We let Kyle venture forward since he was the only one in the group vaguely familar with the park (and ya did a great job on navigating too btw....just get a rear tow point Mr. Green !). I went with the easy group in the beginning, real tame stuff for me and after looping around 13 we caught up with the other group in the rock creek. That was all I needed to see and Dan spotted me thru the first section. It was getting late and I figured since they had stuff breaking all day, I didn't wanna push my luck (or risk losing my coveted wuss status flipoff agree ). I'd wanna do it again, in a smaller group concentrating on the harder stuff.

Oh yeah, after working on about five hours sleep in two days, I managed to get lost on the way out.......couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing signs for Pine Grove until I realized that I probably shouldn't be on 209S (hey, we ran 209 earlier in the day didn't we Wink ?). I had a oood time Smile .
_________________
Drink more Ovaltine!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gel
Member


Joined: 23 Feb 2004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time reader, first time poster.

Man I hate hearing bad things about RC, they are a top shelf group of people trying to put a good park together in a short period of time, and I feel they have done a great job and should be commended. As for yawning through trail 6, there are 4 parts of trail 6 all with bipasses, now I am not gonna claim to be the best wheeler out there but I have run everything at PAP other than Death Valley and trail 6 is hard! If you took a group of say 8 WELL equipped trucks through 6 it would probably take you a good 5 hours barring damage.

Something I will say is things were VERY different in the snow, trails that were easy in the summer were hard with the snow and vice versa. There is A LOT of hard stuff there, tell you what, wait till the snow melts and go there and run 16, 17, all of 6 and all of 5 (including the hill climb) and that will take you all weekend (if not longer) and I guarantee it will change your thinking! And hey, if those trails don't "do it for ya", I have seen a lot of other area that will be real hard, shoot me a PM and come on up and help me cut the trails in, they have a cool program where if you do a work day you get a free day wheeling pass, make a weekend of it, you know work Saturday and wheel Sunday, you get to spend 2 days in the woods basicaly for free. Least I find that to be a good thing.

I guess the moral to my rambling story is I feel it is a great place with great people, and snow changes trail dificulty, so give it a second chance some time, you will most likely change your story about the park!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?


Joined: 03 Jan 2004
Location: Where im at

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
we caught up with the other group in the rock creek. That was all I needed to see and Dan spotted me thru the first section. It was getting late and I figured since they had stuff breaking all day, I didn't wanna push my luck (or risk losing my coveted wuss status flipoff agree ). I'd wanna do it again, in a smaller group concentrating on the harder stuff.

Oh yeah, after working on about five hours sleep in two days, I managed to get lost on the way out.......couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing signs for Pine Grove until I realized that I probably shouldn't be on 209S (hey, we ran 209 earlier in the day didn't we Wink ?). I had a oood time Smile .



Yeh you seemed to have fun on rock creek, it wasnt even that loud of a ride
Evil or Very Mad I had fun spotting for ya, its nice when someone asks for a spot then actually does what you tell them to do Mr. Green

I had a good time all in all, but i need to get my heep running again.

We got a lil lost when we left, so we stopped to ask a cop. it went a lil like this

us- how do we get to 78
cop- 78????
us - yes route 78, towards NJ
cop- hmm 78
us- yes 78
cop- you sure you dont mean 61
us - its ok we'll find it

next stop at a coffe place,

me- how do i get to 78
guy- go 1/2 mile down the road, make a right onto 183, stay on that for a few miles it hits 78
me - thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin


Joined: 03 Jan 2004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gel, welcome to the site! I like your offer of helping out with some trails, this could be a good way to spend Sunday learning more of the RC trails and finding ones more appropriate for the groups that were there.
_________________
Just damn happy to have my Jeep back, it's been a long time!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?


Joined: 03 Jan 2004
Location: Where im at

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gel wrote:
Long time reader, first time poster.

Man I hate hearing bad things about RC, they are a top shelf group of people trying to put a good park together in a short period of time, and I feel they have done a great job and should be commended. As for yawning through trail 6, there are 4 parts of trail 6 all with bipasses, now I am not gonna claim to be the best wheeler out there but I have run everything at PAP other than Death Valley and trail 6 is hard! If you took a group of say 8 WELL equipped trucks through 6 it would probably take you a good 5 hours barring damage.

Something I will say is things were VERY different in the snow, trails that were easy in the summer were hard with the snow and vice versa. There is A LOT of hard stuff there, tell you what, wait till the snow melts and go there and run 16, 17, all of 6 and all of 5 (including the hill climb) and that will take you all weekend (if not longer) and I guarantee it will change your thinking! And hey, if those trails don't "do it for ya", I have seen a lot of other area that will be real hard, shoot me a PM and come on up and help me cut the trails in, they have a cool program where if you do a work day you get a free day wheeling pass, make a weekend of it, you know work Saturday and wheel Sunday, you get to spend 2 days in the woods basicaly for free. Least I find that to be a good thing.

I guess the moral to my rambling story is I feel it is a great place with great people, and snow changes trail dificulty, so give it a second chance some time, you will most likely change your story about the park!



No offense but thats great would you like a cookie??

No one here is Bad Mouthing RC, just some of us like the set up of PAP better. Yes i know RC is growing, but at the same time i recall the days of PAP when there was one road in and out and you needed 4wd just to get in, and i remember strapping trucks up and out of that road.

If you have Wheeled everything at PAP and still think trail 6 is harder than you are being close minded. While i make no argument that trail 6 had its hard parts, and was a fun trail, you can not claim it is harder than everything but DV at PAP. It is not an opinionated thing it just isnt.

I had fun offroading, but I remain one of the ones who was just not overly impressed with the park in its current form. Yes it will grow, yes I will be willing to go there again. But for now I like PAP.

Im not trying to start a pissing match but no one bad mouthed RC, jsut stated that at current some of us like PAP better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy


Joined: 02 Jan 2004
Location: This side of sanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't tell you which part of trail 6 we were on due to the lack of markings. However, never once did I say the park sucked. Folks asked what the day was like. As a matter of fact, specifically I sited the lack of services/organization for the park, not the terrain itself. I know, should there be an issue at Paragon, I can radio channel 5. I can call the cell #'s posted in the office at check in time. There is a way to get help. They require check in and out at Paragon, ergo they have an idea if somebody is MIA. Some folks find that annoying, but I find it comforting. I feel that I'm getting benefits of entertainment PLUS service for my fee. The price differential just isn't there for me, especially when factoring in additional travel.

I'm sure RC will shape up to be an amazing park. Maybe it already is. I didn't see all of it. Never claimed to. Just offered my opinion, which you are more than welcome to agree with/disagree with or dismiss entirely.
_________________
dan is the coolest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GoTopless
Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlllllllO wrote:
pics...

look who's stuck... rofl



yeah so what? i got stuck ONCE...how many times did you get stuck??? hmmmmm...like 4 or 5???? yeah thats what i thought flipoff agree
_________________
woo woo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hubdeep
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candi wrote:
As a matter of fact, specifically I sited the lack of services/organization for the park, not the terrain itself. I know, should there be an issue at Paragon, I can radio channel 5. I can call the cell #'s posted in the office at check in time.


Hmmm . . Sorry things didn't agree with you. I know one of the park's manager's phone numbers is on the trail list at the staging area.

I know when we were leading folks around for their open ride, we found that the black and blue trail turned out to be easy b/c of the 6-8" of snow and ice. (We ran two blue trails with black obstacles in 6 hours w/o snow, and in 10 minutes with . . . ) We actually found that the green level off-camber trails were the hardest in the snow. Locked front and rear kept driving you sideways. Laugh An interesting day to say the least.

When it's the next time for a ride up there w/o snow and ice, I'll be more than happy to take you guys around. Very Happy
_________________
Maryland Creepers Offroad Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?


Joined: 03 Jan 2004
Location: Where im at

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubdeep wrote:

When it's the next time for a ride up there w/o snow and ice, I'll be more than happy to take you guys around. Very Happy


Sounds like what is needed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gel
Member


Joined: 23 Feb 2004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never meant to start a pissing match, and never said trail 6 was as hard as DV, just that it is hard. I just hate seeing bad reviews of a great place to wheel, I like both PAP and RC, both have their advantages and disadvantages. And I will continue to go to both. Just to clarify a couple things, like HUBDEEP said, cell phone #s are available if you wanted them and just need to ask, terrain is constantly being opened as time (and weather permits), and the access roads from the west property are iced in and for safety they have people going out to 209 rather than risk running them up that long icy road, which gets worse as the day goes on.

Again, sorry for the mis-understanding and if you want to see the hard parts of the park or cut some trail PM me and I will be more than happy to show you "the good stuff".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OlllllllO
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Location: Ephrata, PA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoTopless wrote:
OlllllllO wrote:
pics...

look who's stuck... rofl



yeah so what? i got stuck ONCE...how many times did you get stuck??? hmmmmm...like 4 or 5???? yeah thats what i thought flipoff agree


i don't recall that Confused ....i haven't even seen any pics of that so that musta never happened Twisted Evil
_________________
97 TJ--31.10.50 BFG AT's and more to come

94 YJ--3.5" of lift/32x11.50 BFG MT KM's and one bad motor....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Visit links4jeeps.com for write-ups, forums and clubs




Jeep®, Wrangler, Cherokee, Liberty and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler LLC.
jeephorizons.com is not in any way associated with or endorsed by the Chrysler LLC.
All other content is copyright Jeep Horizons 2004-2008.
Tech write-ups Links Discussion board Land use News Site Map Terms of Use

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group