Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Key ignition switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Key ignition switch Reply with quote

I've been having starting problems with my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ and I've been eliminating problems. 1st the alternator, then the starter.

Sometimes it will do absolutely nothing when you turn the key. If you turn the steering wheel a little then it will start. The steering wheel does not lock. AND you can pull the key out in any position. When the key is out the ignition collar spins freely.

Anyway, I think the answer is that I need a new ignition switch.
Any comments?
DonM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through this twice now, and unfortunately the ingintion electronics are not cheap to replace, even boneyard prices are around $200.

I DO however know the wiring set up for the Jeep, and making a push button/toggle ignition is extremely easy and inexpensive.

There are 7 wires in the ignition harness:

2 Red (constant power)
1 Dk Blue (fuses 17, 18, 21 - fuse block and power distribution center)
1 Violet (fuses 2, 6 in the fuse block)
1 Orange (fuses 3, 7, 10 and circuit breaker 6 in the fuse block)
1 Yellow (starter solonoid/starter motor relay)

There is also a gray w/white wire that is of much smaller gauge than the other wires, but it's not listed on the schematic, so I don't have a clue.

The push button starter is easy. Clip one of the red wires and the yellow wire no closer than 2" from the connector (in case you need to reattach the wires to it in the future). Get one momentary switch (like a horn button...once you let off, the power stops flowing through it). A 20 amp switch is fine, all the switch is doing is tripping relays, it's not taking the full load from the battery.

There is plenty of wire in the stock harness to allow you to place the switch to the right of the steering wheel, where on the Cherokee Sport, is near the rear wiper switch. I also added a red-dash indicator light that comes on when the starter button is pushed, not required, just something I felt like doing. This is hooked up by connecting one end of the light to the "cold" side of the starter switch and the other end to ground.

The only "down" side is that your starter can be cranked over at will. Another option is to connect the yellow wire to the Blue, Violet or Orange wires, which are hot in 'run' only which would make the push button 'cold' until it's "armed" by turning the key to 'run.'
Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, super information. Thank you so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: