Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Refreshing" a tired XJ

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: u-joints Reply with quote

We were talking front axle u-joints. The drive shaft ones are pretty easy, not so on the front axle. You have to pull the whole hub assembly out and also remove the large axle nut. I broke a half inch drive socket wrench on my first one. Good thing for lifetime warranties on decent tools.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
docchaynes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back of my stock 96 XJ sits about 2 1/2 " lower than the front. I thought about just adding an extended shackle but from this forum it sounds like the leaf ssprings are probably toast.

If I replace with the Jeep Heavy Duty springs (as sold by Rocky Road Outfitters) with new bushings , how much should I expect this to pick the rear up?

( not looking for a 'lift' but just to get the back up with the front)
dizzymac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do a search in here or in NAXJA to get the proper height from center of wheels to lower edge of fender flare to tell you how shot your springs are. I'd just do an AAL (if anything), stay away from lift blocks, they will warp your springs. Don't look to your shocks for lift,they are not meant for that, but do the buy the best that you can afford.
As far as replacing timing chain, I wouldn't go looking for trouble. They seldom go on XJ's, although if you are doing the water pump then that would be the time to do it, but I think you are opening a "can of worms" . Replacing the water pump might not be a bad idea, they do have a fairly high failure rate. Replacing the idler pulley and serp. belt would be a good idea while you are right there.
A coolant change and flush will be in order if doing the water pump, I'd do it anyway, remember to only use distilled water in your cooling system if adding water.
docchaynes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry . . . "AAL?"

(OK, I got it: "Add A Leaf."

Still can't find the height measurements but I'll keep looking.
etc2na

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Speaking of steering... Reply with quote

For a 3" lift, do I need to lower/extend the chassis mount for the Trac-bar to allow for articulation? What do you guys recommend for the rest of the steering? I'm not having any steering issues (yet) but all the rubber boots are split and I have been told it's about the same $$$ to replace all the components as it is to redo the joints. I can find tie rods, but I can't find drag links. I can find a steering conversion kit, to change the "y" style steering, to a straight tie rod/draglink system. What is the best way to go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: