Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throttle cuts out and humming noise on startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Throttle cuts out and humming noise on startup Reply with quote

Hey I have a '97 XJ and am having a few problems. First off, every once in awhile when I accelerate(usually from a stopped position) the engine will cut out for a few seconds then act normal. I have read it might be the Idle Air Control sensor but not sure. Also, sometimes on the initial startup when the engine is cold, a loud humming that sounds as if it is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. It lasts for a brief moment and usually will go away if I give it a little throttle. Havnt had time to read all the forums so if you have any ideas, your input would be greatly appreciated!!!
dancerman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound like idle air control. I'd be thinking EGR valve.
Bson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Power loss during acceleration Reply with quote

Hello mate!
I may have the same problem as you (have had?). From low speed or standing still during acceleration the power is lost like there is no fuel available for the engine. It happens during a couple of seconds a few times (like I'm on and off the gas pedal a few times) and then disappears.

Posted on an other thread "Power loss during acceleration" :
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=59695#59695

Did you resolve your issue?
Is (was) your issue the same as mine?

/Bson
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, from what you described it sounds like we are having the same problem. no, i havnt fixed it yet because it only happens every so often. and usually it lasts only a second or two. i would reallly like to figure it out though, so if you or anybody finds an answer...please help. thanks
adamzski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: power loss during acceleration Reply with quote

I had the same problem, my cherokee XJ has a manual transmission, and at first i thought the clutch was slipping, so dont rule that out if it applies to you. after ruling that out, i replaces the tps, map, and iac. the sensor that made the most difference for me was the tps, if you do alot of highway driving, our tps can get worn at one spot, and when you hit that during acceleration, it will send an incorrect reading to your computer causing it to buck and loose some power at that point, so i would try that. it cant be the egr valve because these motors dont have one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: