Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maitnance Required Light

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alance86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Maitnance Required Light Reply with quote

Ok question, i got a 91 wrangler, I6, and comin back to school from fall break yesterday, my Maitenance Required Light came on, i checked the owners manual, and it said that this light is for the emmissions, and normally comes on around 82,500 miles. The jeep is runnin fine, no problems with it, no knocking, no smoking, nothin, and, my jeep is sittin on 120k, nowhere near the 82,500, anybody got any ideas about what this might be and what i might be able to do, i tried to take it to advance auto, and get them to check it, but they said that they didnt have a computer for cars that old, so i dont know what to do, cuz i dont feel like trying to find a dealer, any help would be appreciated

lance
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you give this a try?
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/yj_codes.html
alance86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i tried that, but nothin happened, so im not sure if its just a fuse or what, but i dont feel like taking it by a dealer and payin out the butt to get it looked at, maybe i messed that up, when i do that, am i turning it all the way off, or just turning it back then forward again
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On is where your radio comes on but the engine doesn't start (I guess that would be the accessory setting) and off is where the engine would normally shut off but before you can remove the key.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Maitnance Required Light Reply with quote

alance86 wrote:
Ok question, i got a 91 wrangler, I6, and comin back to school from fall break yesterday, my Maitenance Required Light came on, i checked the owners manual, and it said that this light is for the emmissions, and normally comes on around 82,500 miles. The jeep is runnin fine, no problems with it, no knocking, no smoking, nothin, and, my jeep is sittin on 120k, nowhere near the 82,500, anybody got any ideas about what this might be and what i might be able to do, i tried to take it to advance auto, and get them to check it, but they said that they didnt have a computer for cars that old, so i dont know what to do, cuz i dont feel like trying to find a dealer, any help would be appreciated

lance

I have a 92 XJ, mine is equipped with BOTH a "MAINT REQD" light and a "CHECK ENGINE" light and they have separate functions.

Per the FSM (A MUST HAVE! FORGET Chilton/Haynes):

"MAINT REQD": Alerts owner when Oxygen Sensor-PCV Valve replacement and other scheduled emission maintenance is required. Operated by a Timer off of the Ignition System when vehicle mileage reaches approximately 82,500 miles. Can be reset by DRB II.

"CHECK ENGINE": The Engine Controller has recorded a a system or sensor malfunction. Signals an immediate need for service. Also used to display fault codes. Cycle the ignition switch on, off, on, off, on within 5 seconds. Fault codes will be displayed in series of flashes representing digits.

These two lights seem to be discussed synonymously on these boards but are very much two different indicator lights!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
alance86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh the one that lit up was the maitn reqd light, and its weird because im sittin on 120k, nowhere near 82,500, so i dont know why it came on, what is the DRB II?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind, I am speaking of the 91/92 vintage behaviors here and I have no FSM for or experience with later models! This "FREE ADVICE" is based on my FSM and my own experience with my MAINT REQD light!!!!

My XJ has over 210K miles on it when it came on. I don't know why (not 82,500 or even a multiple of it) but keep in mind it is not really tied to any actual performance issue, just a firm reminder/warning to have O2 Sensor changed. I don't know the exact maintenance history of my vehicle and while my light has been extinguished, I am slowly sequencing through replacing all sensors anyway.

The idea was that the light came on as result of a electronic timing unit that estimated 82,500 miles to indicate that Maintenance was required on emissions system including the O2 sensor replacement. They made it a pain to turn off so you'd take it to a dealer (they have the special DRB II (electronic gizmo) tool that can interface with electronics to reset the counter and extinguish the annoying RED MAINT REQD light ONLY AFTER they had performed the expensive maintenance.

If you don't KNOW that the Oxygen sensor has been changed, CHANGE it to make sure and then find someone with DRB II (and the right adapter/s to connect to computer plug (mine is on driver's side of engine compartment wheel well just to rear of Air filter box (if memory serves right).

My local Advanced Auto (equivalent to Autozone) has a DRB II but are RELUCTANT to come out and use it (say its broke or guy who knows how to use it is always not there, once they actually came out to parking lot only to discover that the connectors were different and they couldn't find adapter. The one you can BUY to do this is over $200.

Investigate closely at any unit you might see significantly cheaper, I doubt they will connect/work on a vehicle that is old as 91 (92 in my case).

Just my 2 - 4 cents worth!
(Sorry I got so long winded!)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
alance86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i dont mind at all, im a lil mechanically retarded, and any lil bit helps me

quick question, how to i make a signature?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: