Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuttering hesitation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaco873

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Stuttering hesitation Reply with quote

Hi. I just found this place and it seems like the right place to ask. I have a 93 XJ 4.0 298,000 mi, and i am having serious hesitation problems. I took my Jeep to the garage and the guy changed the spark plugs and put some fuel additive in. The Jeep ran great for about a few weeks before it happened again. The Jeep runs fine when it is cold without hesitation but as soon as it warms up, it starts stuttering. It stutters through acceleration, especially hard acceleration, and runs smoothly once a constant speed is reached. It also runs better on cold days. I just read the tech on blowby into the airfilter, and sure enough, there's plenty of oil in there. I am sure that changing my filter will help, and doing the cleanup and replacement of the pcv valve will help, but does this sound like an issue with air and fuel mix or does this sound like something else. On a cold day, this thing feels solid. Acceleration is great through all gears, but if I push it I get back to hesitation after a little while. Anybody had any experience with this?
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert at this, but no one has replied yet and I had these exact symtoms on a vehicle besides my XJ.

My 86 Mazda 626 was hesitating, but only after warm and under moderate to hard acceleration. It ran fine once constant speed was reached. Finally, the mechanic changed the spark plugs and it was OK for a little while. It started happening again, but I didn't want to spend the money to have the mechanic tear into it to figure it out. Then one day it just died while cruising on the freeway. Instantly. The mechanic then found that my distributor had some serious issues and had to replace the whole unit. It had something to do with the voltage regulator, which in turn was messing up my sparkplugs and eventually caused death to the whole thing. I know that this is a stretch from Mazda to Jeep, but it's something to look into. I have no idea how to check if these parts are OK.

I just doubt that some blowby into the air filter could cause such major hesitation. A vacuum leak or a problem with the throttle body maybe?

Again, this is by no means a diagnostic or expert advice. Just a couple of things to look into.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's stuttering, it could be in the fuel system. If the electical leads you nowhere, check the fuel pump/filter/injectors.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
935speedxj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you try the ignition modual? or the distributor ..??clean it up an then try it all again the connections an everything else.... this actually happined to my jeep last summer... same thing ... hope this helps you out.. ~ phil
chaco873

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Found the problem Reply with quote

Well, by chance yesterday, I had the lid up while I was adding air to my tires. I was going to look at the distributor to see how it looked as I was leaning towards that as the problem. Just as I was leaning in to listen for the hesitation, a spark caught my eye. It was arcing from the top of the sparkplug wire to a glob of grease on the valve cover. every time I saw the spark, the engine sputtered. I just wiped away the glob and no more spark. The plug wire is different from my other five, and I wonder if I need to change it out. I could push it towards the cylinder cover a little, and the arc would return along with the hesitation. But, as long as the plug is not near the cover, or a blob of grease, The engine is tip top.
So, if you're having some hesitation, look for a spark from the plug wires to the block or covers. That may be you're problem.
Thanks for the replies.
Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: