Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liftgate woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Liftgate woes Reply with quote

Sorry for all the different threads, but the problems just keep piling up but I guess that's what I should expect when I hear that JEEP=Just Empty Every Pocket......
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...........and I guess it's been a long year, because I just hit the wrong button.

ANYWAY, here's the problem:

For quite some time I've been having trouble with the handle/lock assebly on the tailgate of my '97XJ. I think what's been happening (and I hope I can explain it without needing an interpreter) is the locking mechanism inside the handle assembly, the part that latches onto the tab on the body of the Jeep isn't releasing, or isn't releasing all the way. When I pull the handle I can hear and feel peices moving but the door won't budge.

Up until recently I've been able to get the trunk open by pushing the door in (throwing my weight against it) while lifting the handle so there was no friction between the tab on the body and the locking mechanism.

However, now that doesn't even work!!!!!!!!
I'm still pushing on the door, and I still hear the mechanism moving but I'm guessing it doesn't move far enough for the door to release from the tab so that I can open the door.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this dilema and I need a resolution that, if at all possible, prevents me from having the dealer work on it. I don't think this is a very common problem, but both my Jeep and my brother-in-law's are having the same problem (only his hasn't progressed to not opening yet).

I have an idea but I don't know if it'll work (this is where you guys come in). I think I can get the handle/lock assembly from the dealer (or other retailer) and from having looked at the latch before the door sealed itself, it doesn't look too difficult to remove and replace.

The only problem is, well, I can't get the door open to replace the latch. Nor do I want to try until I know what I'm going to do about it, because I don't want to get the door open to look at it only to have to close it because I don't have the part and then not be able to get it open again.

So, my questions (finally, believe me I'm sick of typing):

Where can I get a new handle/lock assembly (preferably keyed to match my doors/ignition)?

Once I get the new lock, how do I get the tailgate open to replace it?

How do I go about replacing it (are the directions in the FSM sufficient enough/what else should I know)?

Thanks for reading...any help greatly appreciated!
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Tardis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a threaded adjustment on the push rod for the handle. Get the gate open, pop the cover off, adjust as necessary. Be sure to put PLENTY of "NEVER SEIZE" on the latch mechanism.

Never Seize, A Jeeps best friend.

JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: latch Reply with quote

This is a common problem in my book. My GC also had the same issue. To get the door open on the GC I had to crawl in the back, remove enough screws to fit my hand behind the top of the plastic panel while bending it and then pulling up on the metal rod. My 99 is doing the "push in to open" thing now so I should get in there to adjust it soon. The mechanism is a crappy Chryco design, same as a Caravan (same issues too). It's basically a rod with threads on it that has a clip to grab the threads. What happens is the clip starts to slide off or get sideways slightly. You'll know what I mean when you see it. My fix on the GC was to adjust properly then use a wire to wrap around it so it will not slip off. Lastly lube everything in there.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
adamjk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fixed now :-)

It seemed that the clip you talked of had plenty of grip but it had slipped to a lower part of the pully and it wasnt getting enough leverage to open the door mechanism, so all i did was move the clip lower down to get the extra leverage needed to pop the door, works a treat now, thanks for the help guys, you have been a big help
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: