Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple quick questions on '98 Sahara

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Couple quick questions on '98 Sahara Reply with quote

Hi Guys...
Wish I'd have known about this site earlier...could have gotten alot of info alot easier.

I've got a '98 Wrangler Sahara that's basically stock. I know there was a manufacturer's recall to fix a problem with the dash-board indications going dead. Unfortunagely the previous owner didn't have this done, and the local dealer says it's too late to get it done (for free). Does anybody know what this fix entailed and is it something I could do on my own?

Also, I've noticed a "thumping" noise, usually at low speeds during a turn. Occasionally I hear it when I hit a bump while going straight. It's definately coming from the suspension or drive-train, but I can't tell specifically where. The reason I'm concerned it may be in the drive train is that it often happens when starting from a dead stop...but this is only if making a turn. Starting and going straight doesn't seem to cause any noises.

The lug nuts are all tight, there's no out of the ordinary tire wear, and I don't feel any swaying or vibrations during normal highway driving, nor is there any "pulling" in either direction by the steering at any speed.

I looked underneath and could not find anything obviously broken, but I did notice the rear anti-sway bar (not sure if that's the right name for's the one that runs along the bottom of the rear axle) seems to have some play in it. Bushings bad maybe?

There has been some work done on the drive train. I have a fairly new transfer case (the old one literally "blew up" about a year and a half ago) and the seal at the driveshaft input on the rear end was changed about 4 months ago.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to look next? Thanks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: