Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freakin' Oil Pan!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artdplmr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Freakin' Oil Pan!!!!! Reply with quote

Okay- Decided to replace the rear main seal on my '88 .i.l. 6 XJ. Researched it, and it didn't look too tough. (HA!! That should have been my first clue!) I just spent three freaking hours trying to get the oil pan out from under the engine, and it still won't clear. Here's the run down-

Drained oil
Disconnected battery
Removed skid plate and fiber splash guard thingy
Removed starter
Removed tranny/bell house inspection plate/mud guard
Removed all bolts from pan and broke pan loose

At this point i tried to weasel the darn thing out, but as I slid it back it was hitting the bottom of the bell housing, and missed clearing by about an 1" to 1 1/2". So after screwing with it for twenty minutes I...

Put jack under front pumpkin and raised slightly
Unbolted steering dampner
Unbolted bottom of shocks
Lowered and removed jack

This picked up about 3/4" more axle drop. Screwed with it for another twenty minutes, still can't get it out. At this point I gave up for the night.

So tell me, Oh Wise Ones, What the freak next?? Do I have to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the tranny an inch? Please oh please don't tell me that!!

What am I missing?

As always, all comments, suggestions, advice, solace, and amusing anecdotes will be greatly appreciated!!!
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm not really familiar with your year model...is the front leaf sprung? Rolling Eyes If so, removing the u-bolts isn't as much of a PITA as it sounds and it should let you drop the axle more.

Hope this helps and good luck.
artdplmr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Got it!! One more question......... Reply with quote

Had to put a board and jack under the tranny pan and lift the whole shebang about an inch (not sure what that says about my motor mounts), then cock it, but it only slid halfway out, then hit the oil pump. Pulled the oil pump, let it fall into the pan, and slid the pan right out.

I was thinking about trying to get the pan back in and what a p.i.a. that's gonna' be, and do you guys think it would be better to permatex the one piece oil pan gasket and then try to slide the whole thing in, or slide it in and then try to put the gasket on the pan??

Thanks again!!!
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Oil Pan Reply with quote

First of all I hope you got the one piece oil pan gasket?
The 1988 year is a four piece set, 2 cork side gaskets and 1 front and 1 rear rubber gaskets. This four piece set doesnt work well.
The one piece rubber gasket is about $40.00 bucks.
Dont use permantex on the rubber gasket as it wont hold.
Use weatherstrip cement or Gorilla snot to adhere the gasket to the block.
The rear main seal needs a little RTV on the bottom edge of the seal.
The torque spec on the rear bearing cap should be 80 ft lbs.
1991 Cherokee Limited
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: 88 Oil Pan Reply with quote

Last time I did my oil pan thing I raised the vehicle after I disconnected the shocks. Gives you all kind of room. Get the one piece gasket....Much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: