Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transfer case shift linkage question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MC69

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: transfer case shift linkage question Reply with quote

Hi,
First off let me say I'm new here and this is a great forum. Smile

Now to my question....

I just bought a 1996 Cherokee 2 door sport. I-six, auto. Transfer case selections are 2H-4H-N-4L.

All 4 wheel and two wheel selections seem to work (once you actually get into them).

Problem is it seems hard to get into 4L with the selector shift. You have to pull it back and hold it back to go in. It's like I've run out of room pulling it back into the 4L section of travel for this shifter lever. It goes in sometimes and sometimes it does not. It seems like it is out of adjustment.

Is there a manual adjustment for the throw length of this selector shifter? Is it an easy adjustment?

Also, when in 4L the light on the dash still says part time even though it is clearly in 4L. Is this correct?

I put it in neutral or park to shift into 4L. Is this correct?

One last question......Smile

I reckon it's OK to shift into 4H on the fly??? Correct?

The darn thing has no shift instructions and I guess I'm clueless since I've only owned old CJ5's in the past.

Thanks so much.
330T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shifting into 4h while moving is fine, try to keep it under 40 is the best

Shifting into 4L with an auto like this

Shif into 4H drive about 50 yards (make sure you are not on pavement!)
get the jeep to about 3 to 5mph shift the auto trans into N
Pull the 4wd into 4L do not stop in N. You will hear and feel the clunk once in 4L put auto trans back into D and off you go.

To go from 4L to 4H do the same process.
Tardis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a manual adjustment for the throw length of this selector shifter? Is it an easy adjustment?

Yes, the selector linkage is adjustable. The linkage is attached to a trunnion with a lock bolt, it's a simple slide mechanism. Spray with penetrating oil and loosen the trunnion lock bolt, then slide the selector linkage forward enough to pull the slack out of it. This works if the linkage bushings are still in decent shape. Replace the bushings if they're really sloppy. Put some never seize on the bolts, and mechanism while you're in there too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: