Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buzzing vibration noise when accel.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Buzzing vibration noise when accel. Reply with quote

When I fire up my GC and let it idle for a bit to warm up, there is a slight vibration noise in the cab that comes from below the shifter. It goes away after a little while, but then when I get on the road and take off from a stoplight, i hear that buzzing noise again. It gets a little louder as I increase speed, but then when I reach a higher speed it goes away.
Any ideas of what this might be?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about that kind of thing but it sounds like a transmission thing. I say that because, 1. it's coming from under the shifter (right above the tranny), 2. it's only apparent at low speed.

A couple questions.

1. Does the sound go away after you change gears?

1a. If you start in second gear do you still hear the noise?

2. Is the sound dependant on engine rpm? Meaning, if you stay in the same gear, will the sound disappear at higher rpm?

3. Are there any other times that you hear the noise? Turning, braking, hitting bumps, etc.?

Hope I've been a little helpful.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Brad S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, when I first start the jeep, I hear this loud buzzing noise from below the shifter. I let it idle for a few minutes to warm up and then shift into reverse. The buzzing continues for a few seconds as I back out of my parking space, but then slowly goes away and is silent. I shift into drive and take off out of the parking lot. I typically notice the vibration next as I get on the entrance ramp to the highway. As I accel the buzzing gets a little louder, when it shifts into 3rd it goes away briefly, but comes back as the rpms go up. When I reach about highway speeds it tends to go away. I don't hear it then unless I accel to pass or something...
I know this sounds kind of wierd, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Tranny fluid and engine oil are good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: