Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

94 Grand Battery Issues....Or Not

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dobie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: 94 Grand Battery Issues....Or Not Reply with quote

I have problems with a battery, but not....My battery seems to be dead, I have it checked and it's fine. When i drive at a high rpm the battery needle on the instrument panel is normal, when I stop at a light the needle goes to the red. I have a new alternator but my battery is still dying. Can someone provide some areas for me to check on, I just don't know where to start.

I have replaced the ground connector and it has a new alternator.
kaos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When i drive at a high rpm the battery needle on the instrument panel is normal, when I stop at a light the needle goes to the red.

This means that the charging system cannot keep up with demand at idle, so, new alternator or not, that's where I would start looking. Another possibility is a very heavy electrical load. Mind you, these instrument panel meters aren't very precise, so first of all I would verify the charging voltage at idle with a voltmeter. In a healthy system you should see 13 to 14V; maybe as low as 12.5V if the engine has just been started. While you are at it, measure the voltage from battery negative to ground, both chassis and engine. It should be near zero. If it is more than half a volt, something is wrong with the ground connections.

Best regards,
Kári.
Big Dobie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed my positive cable is pretty corroded. If i rewire my positive and ground cables from my battery to my alternator could i just cut the exisiting two wires and run the new ones straight to the alternator?
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could, but it would bypass the fuse in the power distribution unit, which I don't think is advisable. To be sure, older vehicles often had no fuse in the charging circuit, but that can mean a fire hazard if the wire gets shorted to ground. Which particular connection is corroded? If it's the battery connection it might be a good idea to replace the battery-PDU cable, or the PDU-alternator cable if it's the alternator connection.

--
Best regards,
Kári
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: