Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaking Diff Cover

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bytor71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi new to the forum, just got my brand used jeep, haven't had one since my cj-7 in highschool. Anyway I have a 95 Cherokee with a leaking rear diff issue. It seems to be leaking from the fill plug and the gasket as well. What I need is an inexpensive after market cover with a screw type fill plug. Anyone know of any good ones I might be able to get in Australia? Also I'm fairly sure it has the stock rear end, so just to confirm it's a Dana 35, right? Also does anyone know what the front diff might be? If I'm changing one cover I may as well change both. Thanks Bytor71
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Could be a D35, could be a Chrysler 8.25. I think the older one's had the 8.25, but don't quote me on that. Search the site and you'll find a couple threads that'll tell you how to figure it out.

2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, your front diff shoud be a D30. I don't think jeep had any other front ends in their cars. Also, yes, if you change one you might as well change the other, so you'll know exactly how many miles are on both when it comes to change them again.

2. Can't help you with the fill plug, but are you sure you need a new cover for the diff? You might be okay to just pull the cover, clean it up, and put it back on with a healthy coating of RTP(or a new gasket). When cars get old they leak, that's just how it is, and especially if the diff has never been messed with before, it may just need a good cleaning and new gasket(RTP). However, if it's bent you will need a new diff cover, but you need to find out which diff you have first.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
bytor71

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. The diff was rebuilt 2years ago according to the sevice history paperwork I got when I bought it. it shouldn't be leaking after only 2 years. I was thinking maybe I can either just tap out the fill hole and find a screw in plug, or have a better threaded bung welded in. Anyone have any inputs?

Thanks Again Bytor71
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9104&highlight=axle
Here are photos of the 2 axles that should be in your jeep. Is the fill plug metal or rubber? Not sure what prices are like down there, but if you're going to go to the trouble of having it welded, it's probably going to be cheaper in the long run to simply buy a new (beefier) cover. Unless the cover is damaged, you should be able to replace the gasket to stop the leak. You'll want to use RTV for the gasket. And yes, you should have a Dana 30 in the front.
bytor71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a plastic plug and thats where a good part of the leak seems to come from, but the gasket is also part of the problem. It seems every time I pull that pulg to check the gear oil the leak get worse. I talked to a mechanic he says to just RTV the plug as well, but I'm more concerned about water leaking in while out having a bit of fun in the bush. Thanks for the pics it's the D35 no doubt. bytor71
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Diff Leak Reply with quote

The diff pan gasket is RTV preferably black or red RTV.
The rubber plug can be gotten at the local auto parts store.
Motomite or another vender.
Yes there is a gasket company that makes pan gaskets but its not worth the expense or effort when you may only replace the gasket to service the diff or fix a leak.
1991 Cherokee Limited
bytor71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks here's a re-attack. I did the diff fluid change re- RVT-ed the stock diff cover. Filled the diff back up while it was up on the ramps. I guess I may have over filled it just a bit, but it wasn't coming out the fill hole when I put the plug back in. So after driving it for about three days or so I found it was leaking out the pinion seal in the front of the diff. Now I read the tech info on Axle trouble-shooting. It says that over filling could cause a fluid loss, pinion seal, or clogged vent. Now I figure that over filling was one of the main problems, but for the life of me I can't find any type of vent or vent tube. Does anyone know where I might find a vent on a Dana 35? And is the pinion seal something I can do in the drivway with basic tools? Any help would be great. Thanks Bytor71
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Pinion seal Reply with quote

Yes you can do the pinion seal with basic tools.The hardest part is getting the the pinion nut loose. Tap off the pinion yoke and remove the seal.
Use a little RTV around the outer edge of the seal before install.
A lot of newer seals have a bead of RTV on the seal edge.
I did my front seal but it started leaking again as I needed a pinion yoke
as the seal had worn a deep groove in the yoke.
Also use fine sand paper and sand the yoke wear the seal rides to remove the groove. Coat the seal with some oil wear the seal and the
yoke meet.
As for the axle vent look on top of the axle and you should see a rubber
hose coming off the axle tube. This is your axle vent. I have never traced the line but I think it vents back thru the emission canister.
1991 Cherokee Limited
gtouimet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vent on my old 35 was on the driver's side ( or the left when looking from the rear) and went up from the top of the axle tube into the uni-body frame.
Hope that helps.
bytor71

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. I checked the vent tube and it's all clear. Put a fresh pinion seal in(harder part to find down here than you would think), and topped off the diff oil to just below about 1/2-1 inch from the fill hole. So hopefully all my rearend problems are over. Thanks again everyone for your info. Now all I have to fix is the oil leak either from the rear seal or the oil pan gasket. And that pain in the bum check engine light to stop coming on. According to the ODBI codes it's a throttle position sensor over 4.96v. So as soon as I figure out where that is and if I can get the part here. Well thanks again Bytor71.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: