Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alarm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badgley15

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Alarm Reply with quote

I've heard mixed opinions about alarms on jeeps. I planned on putting on a Black Widow alarm and having it installed to make sure it works properly. With a softop, I have basically no security so I was wondering are these alarms actually worth it or just a waste of money?
V7Sport73

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Buying an alarm Reply with quote

I have used a number of alarms on different vehicles. I live in El Paso, Texas. El Paso lies on the US border with Mexico. We have one of the highest vehicle theft rates in the US. Unlike many other places in the US, vehicle recovery is rare. So I always get alarms put in everything I own. It has paid off a couple of times by preventing thefts of my cars on more than one occasion. With my 2006 TJ I use the Auto Page. So far so good. Just about any brand will do just as long as it is property installed. As far as features are concerned, door light sensors are a must and normally standard. I very highly recommend two stage shock sensors. If you have the convertible get the movement sensor installed. Movement sensors see through plastic so they can be mounted under the center console where the shifter is located. Youíll never even know its there. I also like to have the light feature with mine. This means that the inside light turns on when you deactivate the alarm. Also be sure that it has a good antenna. Nothing sucks more than not being able to chirp the alarm when youíre trying to find your car in the parking lot. Is also very reassuring if you can turn the alarm off and on before you go in the store to be sure its working. My current alarm has a pager. So if the alarm goes off it pages me. That is a really nice feature. Itís a little extravagant and kind of expensive and you only get one pager. But if you got the spare cash buy it. You be glad you did. As far as brands are concerned, I donít really believe one brand is all that much better than another. Installation is everything. Go with a reputable dealer. If anything more than likely you will have trouble with your signal key or remote, as others would call it. Sincerely, AR
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Alarm Reply with quote

Badgley15 wrote:
I've heard mixed opinions about alarms on jeeps. I planned on putting on a Black Widow alarm and having it installed to make sure it works properly. With a softop, I have basically no security so I was wondering are these alarms actually worth it or just a waste of money?

IMO, it's a waste. Alarms keep the honest people honest. They do nothing to prevent someone if they really want your vehicle. An alarm will do nothing to prevent the guy who'll slash your windows and grab whatever is inside.

Don't waste your money. You'd be better off buying a boot (like parking authorities use when you don't pay your tickets) and use that instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: