Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broke my transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Broke my transmission Reply with quote

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler sport 4.0L with a three speed automatic.

So I'm offroading the crap out of my jeep and I stop to take a little more air out of my tires. I turned my jeep off to do this and put it in park.

I air the tires down and start her back up...I put her into drive..not 4H or 4L, just regular drive...soft sand I wanted to get a little crazy in...

Anyways as I drive away, I hear this clicking noise..the faster I go...the faster it clicks. I checked everything I could..aside from tearing the tranny apart on the trail...mind you I'm 30 miles deep into the desert...

Well I couldn't find anything visibly I head back. About a mile down the trail as I'm doing some hill climbing..the clicking stops, but before it did so, there was a pop and the ass end jumped a little bit..then it sounded fine and drove fine....I thought I busted a U-joint..So i checked everything out again..still nothing.

I'm left scratching my head here...hoping that I don't get stuck out in the wilderness..So I continue down the trail and my tranny starts making a strange rattling noise. It isn't until a few miles later that I noticed I only had 1st gear! I was in 4L climbing another nasty hill to get home and I just couldn't get the speed..usualy I can hit about 20-25mph in 4L...I thought I busted the speedo gear...

But when I put it back into 4H...I was able to get up to about 30mph..but it wouldn't shift. Now it wasn't making any grinding noises...just sounded like there was something loose and rattling in the pan..I go to put it in park and the jeep rolls backwards a few feet or so before stopping...something is up.

I tried to use reverse, but it was acting worked..but not like it's supposed to..the rattling got worse. But when I put it in ran fine..wasn't slipping..just wouldn't shift.. I tried to get it to shift by monkeying with the luck. So I limped back to 20 mph the whole way.

Hope you enjoyed my little story Very Happy

What i want to know is...

What went wrong?

And what's the price of a rebuilt tranny going to run?
What's the price of a repair or overhaul?

How about a shift kit?

What kind of tranny is in a 1998 Jeep Wrangler sport 4.0L with a three speed automatic?

I had my jeep towed to cottmans trasnmission here in Mesa AZ off superstition and I just want to make shure I don't get taken advantage of.

I know what happens when you bring things into a shop...they say one thing and soon it turns into a nightmare and you already are too deep to walk out..

Like when I fried my electrical harness and got towed to another shop. I ended up having to fix it myself as they just replaced a fuse and charged me a hundred bucks for it. It ended up being the oxygen sensor wiring harness falling onto the exhaust and melting it, causing a short. I never got my money back from the place..nor was I able to get a hold of the mechanic who did the work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd pull the rear diff cover and make sure everything in there is ok. The pop and rear end jump makes me think its something in that area
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: