Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I remove my transmission oil pan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomSwift

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: How do I remove my transmission oil pan? Reply with quote

I got a Cherokee recently. Itís a 98 with an I-6 motor, and an AW-4 Transmission. It has about 115,000 on it and itís in really good shape. My goal is to drive it forever.

Iím not rushing out to do a bunch of mods on it. I am gonna keep it on the street till I get a lift kit and some decent tires. My overall plan is to replace worn out parts with upgrades till I have a pretty bad ass ride.

I am starting in on a regular maintenance schedule for it. This is a first for me. To begin I am replacing all the fluids. Then I am gonna go through and lube all suspension and drive train parts. After that I need to do the brakes and check the hoses. Then I am gonna do a tune up, get new tires, and have an alignment done (itís got a little wobble when Iím goin about 60ish on the highway).

I started the first part of my plan this weekend. I got all the gaskets, filters, oil, and some RTV sealant so I can change the engine, transmission, transfer case, and differential fluids. I was planning to do all this after work every day this week.

So I was feeling really smart and all. I got off work today and was gonna change the transmission fluid. While I was at it I was gonna figure out what type of oil filter wrench I need to get, and spray the differential bolts with some wd-40 so they are ready when I need to turn them later on.

After getting home and letting the thing cool I get under the truck with some tools and there is a guard that is blocking the bolts on the rear of the pan. To get the pan off I need to get rid of it. I get most of the bolts off and find out that this is holding up the back of the transmission and the transfer case (thanks Haynes for the heads up). Fortunately the support (not a guard) wasnít bent while hanging from only one bolt while holding up everything.

While dealing with this I noticed that apparently the pan canít be simply removed from the bottom of the transmission. There is a return or filler line that connects to the front of the pan that looks like it can only be disconnected from the inside of the pan or from above (where ever it is coming from).

This is not mentioned in the Hayens manual, and doing simple fluid changes isnít explained in the factory service manual.

Does any one have any tips on how I should remove the transmission oil pan? Or while on the subject any tips for me and my XJ and the long future that I plan to have with it?
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried putting a jack or jackstand under the transfer case and removing the crossmember? I have a 97 and I'm about ready to service my transmission...I hope I don't run into the same problem... pissed
TomSwift

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that is how I got the piece off and back on. But I don't know how to remove the oil pan because it has some kinda line running to it. If I simply take out all the bolts it will still be connected by this line.

I don't know if having this line connected will cause me problems with trying to install a new filter.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the dipstick tube or an electrical connection?
TomSwift

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got to be the dip stick tube from what I can figure.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to unbolt the dipstick tube and pull the whole thing out with the oil pan?
Tardis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a line, it's the dipstick tube. It's assembled in 2 pieces. The trans pan has a 'J' tube welded to it, and the dipstick tube is pressed into it with an O-ring seal. I changed the filter in my 99 XJ a month ago and ran into the same problem, and I was using a car lift...The dipstick tube wouldn't separate from the pan. Even with 3 guys pulling on it, we still couldn't get it to budge. So I found a way to get the pan out, and back in, dipstick tube and all.

Get the 'whole' Jeep up at least 1ft or more off the ground. Un-bolt the dipstick tube from the bellhousing, then un-bolt the pan. Now the tricky part, pull the pan down and start to twist it towards the driverside easy, and pull down more. Have someone spot you to make sure you don't rip the dipstick tube mounting tab off. It will take a while, but you will eventually get the pan out, tube and all. I got mine out by rotating the rear of the pan 180 degrees towards the motor, and pulling down at a slight angle. Putting it back in is even more of a pain, there's about 1/8" of clearance if you're lucky. Make sure you glue the pan gasket to the pan before you re-install it. This will prevent the gasket from slipping. Also, make sure you check all of the valve body solenoid plug covers, they like to fall off and get stuck in the filter screen, I had that happen to me already.

I've been there, and this procedure worked for me. Good Luck.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same issue on my '98. Everybody said that the dipstick tube is a 2-piece deal. Well, apparently, my tube had seized itself together. So I was able to unbolt the tube from the bellhousing and twist it just enough to get the old filter out and the new filter in. Yea, I bent the bellhousing mount a lil' bit, but it's aight.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Tardis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, apparently, my tube had seized itself together.

That's what mine did. We pulled and twisted that thing for a half hour before I decided to pull the pan out with the tube attached. That thing was in there so tight you could probably pick the Jeep up with it, and it still wouldn't come apart, lol! It was a P.I.T.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: