Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brownish (coffee) liquid in air filter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyBri25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Brownish (coffee) liquid in air filter Reply with quote

My brother-in-law has a 95' Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 4cyl that I am going to do some work on. The problem is while he is driving and comes to a traffic light or stop sign and accelerates the car stalls out on him or it sputters in the middle of an intersection. Sometimes when he is driving it seems to have a loss of power and sputters on him or stalls, and he has to pull over and restart the car. I have done some things for him already and he seemed to get a good 2 weeks out of it, then the sputtering and stalling started again. So far I have changed the plugs, wires, dis. cap., rotar, fuel filter, air filter, and cleaned the throttle body.

When I opened the air filter compartment the air filter was covered with a brownish (coffee) colored liquid. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the hose the liquid was coming from. I also flushed the radiator and refilled it, thinking there was a clog. I also thought that it sounded like a head gasket problem, but I'm not sure. I check the new airfilter 3 days later and it was clean. Then, a week later he tells me that it has started up again. So, I checked the airfilter again and it is full of the coffee stuff again. Any suggestions?
330T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check compression and cylinder leak down.

May need a new set of rings.

Have you pulled the crank breather and made sure its clean and not plugged up?
FlyBri25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I pulled the crank breather and replaced it because it broke when I took it out. I also cleaned the hose that goes from the crank breather to the air filter box. That is where the stuff is coming from. I'm sort of new at this so I forget the name, but I took off the (crank case?) the top of the engine where the crank breather is and exposed the valves and push rods. The engine is suprisingly spotless, just a little tarnished.

So how is this coffee stuff coming through the engine and exiting out the crank breather into the air filter, but leaving the inside of the engine clean?

I had planned on doing a compression test on each cyl. when I get the car this weekend.
330T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyBri25 wrote:
Yeah, I pulled the crank breather and replaced it because it broke when I took it out. I also cleaned the hose that goes from the crank breather to the air filter box. That is where the stuff is coming from. I'm sort of new at this so I forget the name, but I took off the (crank case?) the top of the engine where the crank breather is and exposed the valves and push rods. The engine is suprisingly spotless, just a little tarnished.

The valve cover?
the valves should be clean they get a lot of oil run over them.

Quote:

So how is this coffee stuff coming through the engine and exiting out the crank breather into the air filter, but leaving the inside of the engine clean?

I had planned on doing a compression test on each cyl. when I get the car this weekend.

If its from blow by, when you get combustion some of the pressure slips past the piston into the bottom of the crank and up through the oil system blowing oil through the breather into the air box. My brother inlaw has a xj with a 4.0 that holding right around 240,000 miles it has real bad blow by and he looses about 3 quarts of oil through his crank breather.

If you do a compression test, try doing a leak down test, you can get the tools from harbor fright for fairly cheep and they work fairly well.

Leak down tester
FlyBri25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a shot, my neighbor is a mechanic for NJ Transit and has tons of tools I'll see if he has what I need.
FlyBri25

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Nothing drastic Reply with quote

Okay, so I did the compression leak down test and the results were.
165 psi, 155 psi, 155 psi, and 165 psi from the front of the engine to the back. I know 5 psi difference is okay, but is the 10psi difference terrible? Do I need to take of the valve cover and put on a new ring set, will that stop the oil from coming out of the crank breather? It is not a lot of oil but enough to be shot into the air filter and then sucked into the air intake.

I still don't know what is causing oil to come out of the crank breather into the air filter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: