Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting issue.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado S14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Starting issue. Reply with quote

I have been doing some research and have found a few threads on similar issues but nothing exactly like mine so I thought that I would make my own.

I have a '92 Cherokee Sport with the I-6 and it has a starting problem. I have to crank it for quite some time to get it going and some times I have to crank it and stop then crank some more. The battery is new, and the fuel filter has been replaced along with the plugs and plug wires. I feel like pumping the throttle when starting helps.

Once it starts it is pretty rough for about 15 seconds then after that it is great. If it warms up and I stop somewhere and let it sit for a short period of time it is much easier than when it is cold.

I know the CAS can be a cause, as can leaking/stuck injectors, or a bad fuel pump. What should I start with first baised on my case?
Tardis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Do a fuel pressure test. It should read about 31 psi with the regulator functioning. With the regulator unhooked it'll read about 40-45 psi.
*Do an injector leak down test. This requires a fuel line loop connector with a pressure gauge fitting. If the injectors leak down 20 psi in 30 minutes they're weak.
*Look for vacuum leaks.
*Check the vacuum line going to pressure regulator.
*Ohm test the injectors. A good injector will read 14.5 ohms +/-1.2 ohms.
*Check the fuel rail for fuel deposits/build up etc.
dancerman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check cylinder compression for proper value. How is the spark? Did you check the ignition module and coil and replace distributor cap/rotor? You should never pump throttle on FI engine to start it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: